Albion's Seed - Four British Folkways in America

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Yes, I like that book a lot. I bought it as a secondhand paperback edition that is now falling apart. It gave me a good insight into the colonial history of the Thirteen Colonies, where my maternal ancestors were getting their feet on the ground.

Richard Stanbery

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Tennessee
Albions Seed, Yes, what a good thought. I would like to read this book. But, I do wonder if it answers the question that has bothered me for some time...which is...what did the average guy on the street think about America and the colonist that went there, in the 17th century?

Funny how Americans and British folks see things differently, isnt it? For example, British people seem to often be under the misguided thought that America was populated with convicts, which isnt so.

And Americans often see the same period of our history (17th century) as a time when the bolder of Albions Seed came and conquered the New World, while those who stayed behind were hiding under their beds in fear from the Spanish and the French, while sipping tea with their pinky in the air.

Didnt have the guts to come over and be bold...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGDc724No2M"]Susan Constant Broadside - YouTube[/ame]

When actually, neither one of these stereotypes is true. In fact, Im not sure we actually do know what the average person in 17th century Britain (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales) actually thought of the colonial adventurers.

Funny, isnt it? A whole century of British/American history (17th century) and so little is really known about what the average common person thought about the biggest event in British history since 1066?

And what few sources we do have, such as William Bradfords journal, for example, are vague on this point. Frustrating!

So, I think Ill start a thread on the European History section so we can discover an answer to this question. Come one come all! :)

Last edited:
Mar 2010
Ohio
Funny this should be brought up, after sitting on my shelf for six months, I just started the book yesterday.

Aug 2011
Texas
Not a belief I have come across in the UK.
Hey Vladd, back when I was in the military I was dating a girl for a while who was also in the military. On the base in Virginia we had a airport.

The cool thing was that if you were military you could hop on the plane and go whereever. So three days before New Years, for the year 2000 we decided we were going somewhere.

At first we thought maybe Puerto Rico. But after checking the flights leaving we found one going to England. So we said, screw it, we're going to the UK. With zero planning we just went and landed in the middle of the country at an RAF base somewhere. Spent 20 pounds on a cab to get to the nearest train station and took the train into London.

We were on the bridge over the river Thames next to the Parliment building when it hit midnight. Right behind us, while we were waiting for the countdown, were about 4 or 5 young British guys and one of them blurted something out I will never forget.

He was speaking to one of his friends when he exclaimed, "You bloody w a n k er, you broke your fag!" I almost fell over in hysterics.

You British guys are a blast. Anyone that thinks they don't like England or English people just go there. It'll change your mind.

If you think you don't like the French just go there and be convinced you were correct.

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
My wife once raised a few comments on a chat room when she announced she was dying for a fag. Us Brits tend to forget the other meaning of the term most of the time.

Aug 2011
Texas
I've always found it strange that in England, if you said "bloody" it would get you in trouble in the wrong situation.

Over here you can say bloody and no one would ever bat an eyelash. And just the opposite with the word "fag".