Alternative realistic locations for the US capital?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think the US should have a mobile capital. The various agencies can be located at fixed locations around the country. Congress can meet at any large meeting place. Everything is on the Webb for information and communication. The President can live at home as he pretty much does now. The Supreme Court can meet in any courthouse. They need to get out more anyway. This will force those who govern to see the country they're governing.
It's Web, not Webb. Otherwise, though, interesting suggestions. Does any country actually do this?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It's Web, not Webb. Otherwise, though, interesting suggestions. Does any country actually do this?
I stand corrected.

The European Union has no fixed capital although Brussels is often said to be the "Capital of Europe". It's not. The executive is housed there but there are agencies in other locations. Parliament meets in Strasburg but is not mobile. There is nothing quite like what I described that I know of. The Netherlands, Bolivia and South Africa have separate, but fixed locations for the executive and the legislature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I stand corrected. The European Union has no fixed capital although Brussels is often said to be the "Capital of Europe". It's not. The executive is housed there but there are agencies in other locations. Parliament meets in Strasburg but is not mobile. There is nothing quite like what I described that I know of. The Netherlands, Bolivia and South Africa have separate, but fixed locations for the executive and the legislature.
The funny thing about it is that at the very beginning, the capital was supposed to "rotate" through the EEC national capitals. (as the presidency still does). It so happened that everything got bigger and bigger and the "rotation got stuck", and it happened when it was Brussels the capital. And it remained there.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The funny thing about it is that at the very beginning, the capital was supposed to "rotate" through the EEC national capitals. (as the presidency still does). It so happened that everything got bigger and bigger and the "rotation got stuck", and it happened when it was Brussels the capital. And it remained there.
I was about to make a correction. I read that the Parliament can rotate between Brussels, Strasburg and Luxembourg. But you are saying that's no longer the case?

How does the Presidency rotate? Is it by term?

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I was about to make a correction. I read that the Parliament can rotate between Brussels, Strasburg and Luxembourg. But you are saying that's no longer the case?
Parliament is still rotating between Brussels and Strasbourg (there are limits to the French pro-EUropeism ...).

Brussels is called (informally and wrongly) the EU capital because most of the important things are happening and are located there.

But even so, EU hasn't a capital in the usual way, and it doesn't want to have. A lot of organisms, agencies are dispersed in EU (it's also why - if I'm not mistaking- none of the agencies located in UK came in Belgium, but in other countries).

There's a will (it seems it's strengthening lately) to de-centralize.

Reactions: Futurist and stevev

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Maryland abolished slavery in November 1864. Depending on when the South won the war in this alternative scenario, it might be difficult to put that Humpty Dumpty together again. Once slavery was outlawed in Maryland, there was very little point to Maryland joining the South. I suspect many of the pro-slavery elements in Maryland left the state during the war so that Maryland had more sympathy for the Confederacy in 1861 than in 1864.
That was after the fall of Atlanta and Lincoln's reelection, with the 13th Amendment having passed the Senate.

If Maryland seceded in 1861 or the Confederates took Washington and Baltimore in 1861 or 1862, then maybe the US would have had to move its capital elsewhere.