American Footage of Nazi Concentration Camps

Jul 2019
New Jersey
In the spirit of the recent thread analyzing a photo of prisoners at Buchenwals immediately following liberation, I'd like to share the following, lesser known footage. These reels of film were taken by the US Army following their liberation of the Nazi Concentration Camps, and, though it's left unsaid, the vast majority of these men and women were Jews from across the Third Reich. In light of the fact that so many people nowadays are unaware of what exactly the nazis really did, I'd like to share this footage with whoever has the stomach to view it.

WARNING: This footage is probably the most disturbing footage you have ever seen. It contains horrible and heartbreaking things. Nonetheless, I think it's important that the world see this - this is raw evil in its purest form. As always, I defer to the moderators if they deem this content too extreme for Historum, nonetheless, I will make the case here that there is a moral imperative for us to acknowledge evil and bigotry and know it in all of its terrible barbarity. I repeat, if you are sensitive (and possibly even if you are not) watch this footage with caution.

Mar 2019
Kansas
WARNING: This footage is probably the most disturbing footage you have ever seen. It contains horrible and heartbreaking things. Nonetheless, I think it's important that the world see this - this is raw evil in its purest form. As always, I defer to the moderators if they deem this content too extreme for Historum, nonetheless, I will make the case here that there is a moral imperative for us to acknowledge evil and bigotry and know it in all of its terrible barbarity. I repeat, if you are sensitive (and possibly even if you are not) watch this footage with caution.
It is a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
It is a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.
The first time I watched this was when my older brother showed it to me on a DVD. I must have been 15 or so. I got up and left in middle and had nightmares from it. I came back two years later and watched the whole thing. It was terrible but I don't regret it.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
The first time I watched this was when my older brother showed it to me on a DVD. I must have been 15 or so. I got up and left in middle and had nightmares from it. I came back two years later and watched the whole thing. It was terrible but I don't regret it.
I think I was able to compartmentalize fairly well even at a young age. While it horrified me I didn't have a physical reaction the way you mentioned.

Mind you the book 1984 disturbed me greatly..........so go figure

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I think I was able to compartmentalize fairly well even at a young age. While it horrified me I didn't have a physical reaction the way you mentioned.

Mind you the book 1984 disturbed me greatly..........so go figure
I grew up knowing a number of Concentration Camp survivors, so it all felt extremely close to home. I already knew alot about the Holocaust, but I'd never before actually seen that sort of footage.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx

I used to react the same way when I was a little boy. Today, not so much. I don’t hold any of the postwar German generations responsible.The generation that fought for this sinister and murderous despot, yeah, I hold them responsible. I was born during the “honger winter” in Holland in 1944, at the time the Germans cut off the food supply to Holland. There was no love lost for the Germans in my family.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
I watched some time ago the British Pathe film on the liberation of Bergen-Belsen. I'm a historian, I see messed up things on a shockingly regular basis, I had to stop watching that film. The only other time I had to stop what I was doing was when I read up on the T4 Euthanasia program in a book.
The sad part of it for me, is that I have become desensitized to some shocking things just by reading about the 20th century and watching documentaries. I will see horrible things on TV that shock everyone else and just go 'meh, seen worse'.
My mother had to teach this stuff in middle school, some of her students were Jewish (1990's for reference), she said one of them had to run out of the classroom because it was too much, might have vomited even. Can't blame them, I think these things depend on the type of person you are, at what age you are viewing and the closeness of the topic to you're heart.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How old are you right now?