American History - General

Dec 2014
Italy
MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE.

I'm thinking of this now, that is, the formation of these two colonies.

There was a land, lying between the Merrimack and Kennebec rivers, and on Aug. 10, 1622, the Council of New England granted it to John Mason and Sir Ferdinando Gorges. 6,000 acres were also granted to David Thompson, also these in 1622, and he founded a plantation on the Piscataqua River. In 1623, Christopher Levett settled on the Casco River. Others arrived in the area in 1623-1624, such as, John Oldham and Richard Vines who settled on the Saco River. Then, in 1629 the land granted to Mason and Gorges was divided: Gorges obtained all land north of the Piscataqua, Mason all land south of it. On Nov. 17, 1629, Mason and Gorges obtained a trading grant from Lake Champlain to the St. Lawrence River, and in 1631 Portsmouth was founded by Walter Neale, who also founded South Berwick in 1632. On Dec. 2, 1631, Gorges received further 24,000 acres on the Agamenticus, that is, York, River, and he founded other settlements there.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Lately I've been watching a lot ot "The Rifleman" and the first 6 seasons of "Gunsmoke": the half hour version.

I truly like the morality that plays into these shows. It takes me back to the American I grew up in.

Dec 2014
Italy
Lately I've been watching a lot ot "The Rifleman" and the first 6 seasons of "Gunsmoke": the half hour version.

I truly like the morality that plays into these shows. It takes me back to the American I grew up in.
I agree fully with you. The Rifleman and Gunsmoke (same titles in Italian) ... I saw them in the years 1977-1978 when our national TV broadcast them.

I better remember marshal Matt Dillon (James Arness, who is also Zeb Macahan in How the West Was Won, or, for me, Alla Conquista del West).

The morality of those times' shows ... well ... we can't compare them with nowadays shows. Indeed, they were the symbol of "old America", that America in which I recognize myself, as well.

My America, isn't America since 1980's on, indeed. Mine is only from 1492 to 1979. :)

Dec 2014
Italy
NORSE SETTLEMENT FROM 1014 TO 1415

I'm thinking of this now.

Historians say the Greenland colony continued till about 1420. But during this century contact with Europe began weakening. Indeed, the last royal ship for Greenland sailed in 1367. Then, some Icelanders visited the colony in 1408. The last man to visit it was a churchman who reached Greenland in 1420. After that date, nobody else went to the colony.

Dec 2014
Italy
DAVID WARK GRIFFITH

David Wark Griffith was a motion picture director and producer. He was born in 1875, and his first role as an actor was in The Eagle's Nest. This movie was shot at the Edison studio. In 1908 he joined the Biograph Co., and became assistant director; he stayed there till 1912. Then he shot The Adventures of Dollie, but his most famous movie was The Birth of a Nation, shot in 1914. The budget production of the latter was $100,000, but when Griffith died in 1948, it was $48 million. Griffith shot about 500 movies, but the most famous are: Intolerance (1916), Broken Blossoms (1919), Way Down East (1920), Orphans of the Storm (1922), and America (1924). In 1919, he was one of the founders of the United Artists Corp.

Dec 2014
Italy
"SILVER GRAY" WHIGS

Who were they?

Well ... the so-called "Compromise of 1850" had a strong impact upon the Whig Party in the North. Indeed, they met a Syracuse, New York, in Sept. of that year. When the convention adopted resolutions and approved Sen. Seward's radical position, 40 conservative delegates of Fillmore's wing left the hall. This group adopted the name "Silver Gray" because they were led by Francis Granger whose hair were gray. In October, they met at Utica, condemned Seward's policies and supported those of Fillmore. Afterwards, the "Silver Grays" lost their influence in the state Whig party, but seized control of the American organization in New York, that is, Know-Nothing.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
DAVID WARK GRIFFITH

David Wark Griffith was a motion picture director and producer. He was born in 1875, and his first role as an actor was in The Eagle's Nest. This movie was shot at the Edison studio. In 1908 he joined the Biograph Co., and became assistant director; he stayed there till 1912. Then he shot The Adventures of Dollie, but his most famous movie was The Birth of a Nation, shot in 1914. The budget production of the latter was $100,000, but when Griffith died in 1948, it was $48 million. Griffith shot about 500 movies, but the most famous are: Intolerance (1916), Broken Blossoms (1919), Way Down East (1920), Orphans of the Storm (1922), and America (1924). In 1919, he was one of the founders of the United Artists Corp.
Birth of a Nation was a horrible, counter-factual and extremely racist movie based on lies and worship of the KKK. Our most racist president of the modern period - Woodrow Wilson - had it shown in the White House.

Dec 2014
Italy
Birth of a Nation was a horrible, counter-factual and extremely racist movie based on lies and worship of the KKK. Our most racist president of the modern period - Woodrow Wilson - had it shown in the White House.
Yes, it's true. Sometimes, I wonder why the KKK movement is born the United States. I think not only to "frighten" the Blacks, but also for political reasons.

Was it a kind of "revenge" for the South?

One of the klansman in the movie was a young John Ford. :)

Woodrow Wilson was an intellectual president, like Jefferson. He studied at Princeton and was also chancellor of that University, in New Jersey.

Dec 2014
Italy
SENECA FALLS CONVENTION

The Seneca Falls Convention was held in New York, at the Wesleyan Chapel, on July 19, 1848. The leaders were Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. It was about women rights, and they demanded woman suffrage and less discrimination in employment and education. These two feminist had also been successful in passing the New York Married Women's Property Act, which modified the common law, and recognized a married woman's right to her separate property.

Dec 2014
Italy
SANTA RITA DEL COBRE MASSACRE (APR. 22, 1837).

In the spring of 1837, John J. Johnson, an American adventurer and a scalp hunter went to the Animas Mountains with twenty men. They had a small gun with them, and they reached the rancheria of Apache chieftain Juan José Compa. Johnson and his men organized a fiesta. It was trick, of course. They massacred all the Indians.

Similar History Discussions