America's greatest inventor/business man?

America's greatest inventor/innovator/business man?

• George Westinghouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Edison

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Henry Ford

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Bill Gates

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Steve Jobs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 2015
Texas
Please note that I am not including pure inventors like Tesla, because the invention has to have been commercially developed.

Last edited:
Nov 2015
Yooper
But Westinghouse developed the transmission of alternating current that Tesla devised...
The computer wouldn't even work without it, so there goes Gates and Jobs. The answer has to be Westinghouse aka Tesla.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
For the combination it would have to be Edison. Not only did he have a keen eye on profit but he invented the concept of the research and development lab.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
I suggest that Steve Jobs be replaced with Steve Wozniak. Both Jobs and Gates were half con men and half snake oil salesmen.

The Woz was a true innovator.

Sep 2014
Kingdom of Galicia–Volhynia
Business person: Sam Walton, founder of "Walmart."
Inventor: Henry Ford

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Personally, among the listed personages, I've indicated Edison, even if Ford invented something pivotal which still carries his name: "Fordism".

Anyway, I cannot totally trust my economical education about considering Fordism the greatest invention ever ... so, keeping a statistical perspective, I prefer Edison.

Apr 2015
Texas
I suggest that Steve Jobs be replaced with Steve Wozniak. Both Jobs and Gates were half con men and half snake oil salesmen.

The Woz was a true innovator.
I do agree that Wozniak was the true technical genius.
There are many examples of geniuses which developed the concepts of many modern technical innovations.

But sometimes it takes some "snake-oil" to create a successful business model for which that invention becomes widespread and truly revolutionize the world.

Thus the title: inventor/innovator/businessman. Someone who created an idea (which may have been developed with someone else) but had the faith and wherewithal to create a business empire out of it.

Now that I explain myself this way, perhaps I should have also included Facebook's Mark Zuckenberg.
Willis Carrier is an interesting addition, too

Last edited: