Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherwood Anderson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Hemingway is our greatest writer. I am particularly fond of Fitzgerald but Hemingway had magic in his pen. Faulkner once said something to the effect that Hemingway never wrote a word that would make a person need a dictionary. This, in effect, makes me believe that Hemingway was truly the greatest American writer.

A writer's concern is to answer all the questions in their writing. Hemingway is easy to understand and thrilling to read. His short stories are a pleasure to the soul: especially A Clean Well Lighted Place and The Big Two Hearted River.

Papa Hemingway was indeed the greatest of all American writers.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
This isn't a very comprehensive list. Two major omissions are Frank Norris and the current best American writer, in my opinion, Anne Tyler. There is no mention of Langston Hughes or Ralph Ellison or even Douglas Wallop.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Voted for Melville. Other posters have cited some absence post-WWII names - Heller, Pynchon, Gaddis, Updike, Roth, Ellison, Cheever, Morrison, DeLillo, Wallace, Wright, Barth, Oates, Salinger and Vonnegut. There's also the poet William Carlos Williams and TS Eliot was an American as well, although I don't think most people view him that way. Thomas Wolfe would be another good addition.
Glad to see another poster remembering Thomas Wolfe!

As a 23 year old I somehow made it through "Of Time and the River", and the mental experience of 'being Eugene Gant' for in that time and place was helpful for me.

My vote was for Twain among those listed, with James and Hemingway getting the honorable mention.

Dec 2011
Midwest USA
Cooper and Melville, or Melville and Cooper. I think that Cooper wrote so much that was more topical to his times, and that his times are less relevant today makes him less accessible to modern readers.

I do not think that the USA has a Shakespeare as yet.

Similar History Discussions