America's (the USA) greatest gift

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
I heard this just last Sunday "Looking back at history "America's greatest gift to the world was the idea of wealth creation." He continued in a global world it has allowed backward advantage. Countries with large populations with little technology can now develop wealth by offering cheap labor gaining wealth and taking on the American dream.
Is this its greatest gift?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I would say it was our constitution, although the opportunity for the common man to make something of himself due to his effort - not his class or standing, was also a great contribution.

Mar 2013
Australia
Sadly now gone. But I agree with Rodger. Many things to like about the setting up of the American Republic including the Constitution and the attempt at democracy. Not much to like about the current version though, one where the rich hold huge sway over the poor.

The Americans did not invent wealth creation and I don't think there's a connection between supplying cheap labour and building wealth for yourself. In fact I tend to think it's the opposite. Otherwise wouldn't Mexico be rich by now? Wouldn't factory workers be living in Manhattan?

Last edited:
Apr 2010
Slovakia
I think you should differentiate between greatest gift to America and to the world. I noticed North Americans tend to be rather egocentric in their view of the rest of world.

For example I understand your pride at your constitution but rest of the world hardly find it unique given it was based/inspired heavily on ancient and renaissance European heritage. Wery few nations went to emulate your constitution and frankly to many other people your constitution seem strange in it's form.

Speaking by myself as a European I find greatest North American contribution for the humanity in it's culture (and I mean people like Hemingway not Hollywood) and science/technology.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
Speaking by myself as a European I find greatest North American contribution for the humanity in it's culture (and I mean people like Hemingway not Hollywood) and science/technology.
"Every time I head the word "Hollywood" I reach for my gun." :)

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
I think it will be for the Historians of the future to judge. That sounds hackneyed but I'm not clear myself.

One that sprung to mind is the decision to never act/go to war without the will of the people. The first super/power to work on that basis? It's importance and influence is not clear to me, but it does seem notable.

Last edited:

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
I think it will be for the Historians of the future to judge. That sounds hackneyed but I'm not clear myself.

One that sprung to mind is the decision to never act/go to war without the will of the people. The first super/power to work on that basis? It's importance and influence is not clear to me, but it does seem notable.
II believe the person who made the quote was speaking about how "wealth creation" has been a boon for so many countries. The examples he gave were Brazil, India & china. I have told my children if they wish to live in Manhattan they will need to earn $200,000 in order to live well. Not many people earn that. Funny about American culture as its greatest gift I bet just as many people view it as negative as positive The negatives focus on its mcDonalds, "decadence" money focused etc. The positives view its wealth, possibilities, and early history. I have no idea where it foreign policy perception is?
Going to war without the will of the people? How many times has US gone to war without congress? I think of Viet Nam afghanistan back into Iraq I am not sure if the will of the people

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
II believe the person who made the quote was speaking about how "wealth creation" has been a boon for so many countries. The examples he gave were Brazil, India & china. I have told my children if they wish to live in Manhattan they will need to earn $200,000 in order to live well. Not many people earn that. Funny about American culture as its greatest gift I bet just as many people view it as negative as positive The negatives focus on its mcDonalds, "decadence" money focused etc. The positives view its wealth, possibilities, and early history. I have no idea where it foreign policy perception is?
Going to war without the will of the people? How many times has US gone to war without congress? I think of Viet Nam afghanistan back into Iraq I am not sure if the will of the people
The United States did not go into Vietnam without the will of the people.