An Austro-Ottoman war sometime between 1815 and 1845

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What about if Austria will limit its annexation to northern Serbia? I mean, other than Belgrade, I'm not sure that Serbia had anything of value for Austria.

Apr 2018
Italy
I think that without an agree with Russia Austria would never had declared war to Ottomans. An eventually war would have been ended in a crushing defeat for Ottomans. Perhaps Serbia and Montenegro would have joined the Austrian in hope to gain lands, also Greece would have joined Austria if the war was declared after her indipendence, and also Egypt that wanted to expand in Syria. For the territorial gain of Austria depends also from the diplomacy, Uk and France didn't ant an excessive weakening of Ottomans and would have pressured Austria. If Austria would have insure only to occupy Bosnia this request would have been accepted.

Oct 2016
Merryland
I'm no expert but I would think that after fighting Napoleon A-H would find the turks pretty beatable.
I'd think they could have swept them out of non-Turkey Europe at least.
I wonder how many locals would see this as their chance to be free of the non-Christian rule and rise up in revolt.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Bosnia was a mixed territory with a small population. Serbia by comparison was larger and much more rebellious. If the Austrians annexed it they wouldn't be happy (not that the Austrians would care). It would add more rebellious people to the empire. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but Russia wouldn't stand for Austrian annexations of Serbia. They may tolerate Bosnia but not both.
What about if Austria offered to let Russia annex Romania in exchange for being allowed to annex Serbia?

Also, Serbia even in 1878 was smaller than it was in 1914:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the Serbs will rebel, then they could have their country back other than Belgrade. True, Belgrade is the heart of Serbia, but Serbia will just have to make do with an artificial heart.