An infographic (eight maps) showing Greater Germany on the eve of World War II in 1939, from Fortune Magazine

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Here is an infographic (eight maps) showing Greater Germany on the eve of World War II in 1939, from Fortune Magazine:

This infographic was apparently made by Richard Edes Harrison. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this infographic? For the record, I personally find it extremely fascinating to get a detailed look at a country at a particular point in time--especially if it's right before a major event that significantly affects this country's demographics, such as a major war.

Reactions: Isleifson
Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
Well... you can already see the split between east and west on the population density map.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well... you can already see the split between east and west on the population density map.
Yeah, other than Silesia and the Berlin area, the German territories east of the Elbe appear to be relatively sparsely populated. Interestingly enough, this is still true today even though a lot of these territories have already been under Polish rule for almost 75 years by now.

Sep 2019
Seattle
What is interesting to me is the inclusion of the U.S. map and the suggestion that it might be included in Greater Germany. Subtle pre-war propaganda by Henry Luce?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What is interesting to me is the inclusion of the U.S. map and the suggestion that it might be included in Greater Germany. Subtle pre-war propaganda by Henry Luce?
I don't think that this map is actually implying this ... does it?

Sep 2016
Georgia
Comparison to USA is actually used as justification for territorial expansion. It says that Germany is smaller than the state of Texas, but contains a population 68 % that of the entire US.

Infographic basically says ,, Germany needs more land, because it has too big of population ''. Obviously, that implies the German need to annex territories on the East and cleanse them from Slavs.

Feb 2019
Serbia
The Texas comparison seems like a subtle attempt to justify Lebensraum and the minerals part to justify Germany's expansion for resources. It's interesting to see the population density differences. What was Harrison's source for the claims on Agriculture and Industries.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Comparison to USA is actually used as justification for territorial expansion. It says that Germany is smaller than the state of Texas, but contains a population 68 % that of the entire US.

Infographic basically says ,, Germany needs more land, because it has too big of population ''. Obviously, that implies the German need to annex territories on the East and cleanse them from Slavs.
It's saying that overpopulation in Germany causes the Nazis to make the Lebensraum argument; it's not saying that this magazine endorses this specific Nazi argument.

The Texas comparison seems like a subtle attempt to justify Lebensraum and the minerals part to justify Germany's expansion for resources.
It's saying what Nazi Germany's logic is without necessarily endorsing this logic.

It's interesting to see the population density differences.
Yep.

What was Harrison's source for the claims on Agriculture and Industries.
That I unfortunately don't know. I wonder if the rest of this article contains any figures for this.