An objective history of the State of Israel.

BML

Aug 2011
"Hmm this all seems like Judean history to me, Israel was conquered in 722 BC?" I'm rather tired and don't have the slightest idea what point your tring to m ake.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
"Hmm this all seems like Judean history to me, Israel was conquered in 722 BC?" I'm rather tired and don't have the slightest idea what point your tring to m ake.
A part that a more intense participation would be appreciated [69 posts since August 2011?], may I ask you what are you doing here?
[I'm not using the color of the moderators, so this is an innocent question from a common Historumite].

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I don't think you're going to be able to find an informed yet truly objective book. The conflict still rages, so it's rather difficult to take an impartial stance. I, myself, will tell you openly that I am an ardent Zionist in the Jabotinsky - Begin mode (AKA Revisionist Zionism). In any event, I can recommend two books to you, both of which deal extensively with why the Zionists felt that their cause was just. They're both quite partial, but are still valuable reading nonetheless. The first is Menahem Begin's The Revolt, which chronicles the Irgun and its campaign to oust the British from Palestine. The second is Terror out of Zion, by J Bowyer Bell. This book is a thorough account of the Irgun and Lehi's ideology and tactics, and while less polemical than begin's work, still quite sympathetic to the Zionist underground. Finally, Ze'ev Jabotinsky, essentially the founder of right-wing Zionism, wrote an essay in 1923 which is indispensable for understanding the moral justification the revisionists claimed, The Ethics of the Iron Wall.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Hmm this all seems like Judean history to me, Israel was conquered in 722 BC?
The land has always been called in Hebrew Eretz Yisrael, or the Land of Israel, even if the name of the state which governed it was Yehuda. If you'd like, I can provide you with numerous sources from the Roman period calling the land "Israel".

Reactions: benzev

BML

Aug 2011
A part that a more intense participation would be appreciated [69 posts since August 2011?], may I ask you what are you doing here?
[I'm not using the color of the moderators, so this is an innocent question from a common Historumite].
Part of my answer to your question is to be found in my initial post. I would like to bring some orderly and valid thinking to my knowledge of what I will refer to as the, “Palestinian” situation.
I remember the end of the Second World War and the rapid movement of Jews into Palestine, some history such as the Sykes-Picot Agreement, the Balfour declaration and the part Leopold Amery played in it. However, The only book of substance that I have to help me is “Israel A History” by Martin Gilbert and I’m looking for some objective reading matter that will take me to the “creation” of the state of Israel. I would welcome anything that can offer a justification for the actual existence of the state of Israel. Can you help me?
What motivated those thoughts? My objections to the unsubstantiated allegations of anti-Semitism of the leader of the British Labour Party primarily because of his support for the Palestinian cause.

BML

Aug 2011
I don't think you're going to be able to find an informed yet truly objective book. The conflict still rages, so it's rather difficult to take an impartial stance. I, myself, will tell you openly that I am an ardent Zionist in the Jabotinsky - Begin mode (AKA Revisionist Zionism). In any event, I can recommend two books to you, both of which deal extensively with why the Zionists felt that their cause was just. They're both quite partial, but are still valuable reading nonetheless. The first is Menahem Begin's The Revolt, which chronicles the Irgun and its campaign to oust the British from Palestine. The second is Terror out of Zion, by J Bowyer Bell. This book is a thorough account of the Irgun and Lehi's ideology and tactics, and while less polemical than begin's work, still quite sympathetic to the Zionist underground. Finally, Ze'ev Jabotinsky, essentially the founder of right-wing Zionism, wrote an essay in 1923 which is indispensable for understanding the moral justification the revisionists claimed, The Ethics of the Iron Wall.
I have found over fifty books or essays on this subject and I have no problem in agreeing with your statement,” The first thing that I did with those books and essays was to look for reviews of them and I don’t think that there is a more accurate statement than, “I don't think you're going to be able to find an informed yet truly objective book.” In fact I doubt that I have ever found a subject so torn by anger and discord. However, I will work my way through all the material I have and see where it takes me.

Feb 2011
Scotland
The land has always been called in Hebrew Eretz Yisrael, or the Land of Israel, even if the name of the state which governed it was Yehuda. If you'd like, I can provide you with numerous sources from the Roman period calling the land "Israel".
Not least, silver shekels of both the first and second revolts (66-70CE and 132-136CE) directly referring to the 'freedom of Israel' and 'Jerusalem the Holy' deliberately using an alphabet in use hundreds of years earlier.

Reactions: Abraham95
Jul 2019
New Jersey
Not least, silver shekels of both the first and second revolts (66-70CE and 132-136CE) directly referring to the 'freedom of Israel' and 'Jerusalem the Holy' deliberately using an alphabet in use hundreds of years earlier.
I actually own a perutah from the time of Alexander Jannaeus. The writing is still legible.

Reactions: benzev
Feb 2011
Scotland
I actually own a perutah from the time of Alexander Jannaeus. The writing is still legible.
That's wonderful! It's amazing to see the script. Prutahs from the first revolt are not too expensive, but Shekels and second revolt Zuzim are very hard to get.
My favourite acquisition is a Lamelech seal from Sukho - script is still legible, from the time of Hezekiah and Yeshayahu!

Reactions: Abraham95