Ancient and Medieval battles with the most overexagerated numbers.

Ancient and Medieval battles with the most overexaggerated numbers.

• Battle of Thermopayle

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Battle of Gaugemela

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Battle of Changping

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Battle of Arausio+the rest of Roman/Cimbri battles

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Battle of Alesia

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Battle of Mobei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battle of Watling Street

• Battle of Yarmouk

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Battle of Chalons

• Battle of Agincourt

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • other?

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

DreamWeaver

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Wales
As I recall the First Crusade has among its sources some pretty huge claims, 300-800,000 combatants for the Franks and similar if not greater numbers for their Muslim opponents.

Afraid Im not up on some of the figures of ancient battles listed.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, the list misses a battle [known for exaggerated numbers]: Doryleaum.

Anno Domini 1097, First Crusade, July 1st.

Near Doryleaum the Crusaders faced the Turkish forces.

The troops of the Turks knew a quite variable dimension:

accurate sources talked about 25,000 - 30,000 units,
Raimond of Aguilers said 150,000 units,
Fulchrio from Chartres indicated an incredible number: 360,000 units [more than 10 times the acceptable estimates!].

Boemondo counted around 10,000 crusaders.

Jan 2014
Florida
As already pointed out, anything in the Greco-Persian Wars. Multiple millions of men participating in the Second Persian Invasion of Greece, and 500,000 at Gaugamela, absolutely ridiculous numbers.

Jun 2013
I am a native of Rasht in Iran, but i live in Denm
As already pointed out, anything in the Greco-Persian Wars. Multiple millions of men participating in the Second Persian Invasion of Greece, and 500,000 at Gaugamela, absolutely ridiculous numbers.
I second that, and it's funny that some actually believe these exaggerated numbers.

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
Agincourt total numbers of troops and French causalities are grossly exaggerated.

And I'm pretty sure the Persian invasion force had about maybe 500,000 by my estimate at best.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
It would be much more interesting to read and participate in this thread if the alleged figures at each battle had been provided. I'm not totally sure what we're getting at here; it seems evident that ancient historians invariably inflated the numbers of men involved in all large battles.

M.E.T.H.O.D.

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
I don't know much about Asian military history outside Japan, but the numbers of some battles look a bit exaggerated: the military campaign of Chanping involved more than one million men, even if it's not a battle itself, it still seems exaggerated to me; the battle of Salsu listed more than 300k men fighting for the Chinese side.
Can someone with experience in Chinese military history shed some light on these numbers?
What was the actual size of early Medieval Chinese armies?

Regarding classical history, the battle of Thymbra between Lydia and Persia must have been a huuuge showdown: classical sources give the number of combatants around half a million!