ancient egyptian siege & naval weapons

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
hey, im looking into the ancient egyptian units for a faction in an ancient warfare game im working on. ive got my infantry and cavalry, and all i need for them now are their ships and siege. would anyone care to help me out? specifically, im looking for ones present during the new kingdom (thats what the faction is dated to).

also, does anyone know if elephants were used by the egyptians during the new kingdom?

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
thanks for those. as for the elephants, i looked into it and they WERE indeed used by the egyptians, for the same reason as the carthaginians, but i just need to know what date. and im also still lacking in ships

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
thanks for those. as for the elephants, i looked into it and they WERE indeed used by the egyptians, for the same reason as the carthaginians, but i just need to know what date. and im also still lacking in ships
Any war-elephants used by the Egyptians would have been post-Dynastic (say c. 1100 BC and later); to my knowledge elephants wouldn't have been used in the New Kingdom Period.

As for the Egyptian navy, during the Middle and New Kingdoms it was a meager force and almost entirely river-based. It was used predominately to transport small bodies of infantry to trouble spots along the Nile, and for carrying military-related supplies.

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
okay, so elephants are out. thanks, guys. i think i have everything i really need for egyptian units now

Edgewaters

Ad Honorem
Jul 2007
Canada
Did they have mantlets? They seem very ubiquitous, even the Iroqouis were using them at the time Europeans arrived.

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
im pretty sure they did, but mantlets arent really applicable for what im working on; im following a VERY specific format borrowed from another project (on which my own project is based)

Jun 2010
I suggest you get hold of books called Chariot and Ancient Warfare technigues. But I do know that WMDs were used at that era.