Ancient European Pyramids (not the Bosnian Hills)

davu

Ad Honorem
Jun 2010
Retired - This Mountain isn't on a Map
Jan 2014
Portugal
I've heard about some pyramids in Azores islands, but it's not confirmed, the scientists are still studying it.

*btw, I'm not talking about the supposed underwater pyramids near that region it's land located the ones I'm referring.

Mar 2012
I've heard about some pyramids in Azores islands, but it's not confirmed, the scientists are still studying it.

*btw, I'm not talking about the supposed underwater pyramids near that region it's land located the ones I'm referring.
I read that the Azores Pyramid at the bottom of the ocean is just a natural formation.

The ones on the island proper are indeed cool looking, but they look suspiciously like the ones on Guimar, which are suspected of being relatively modern constructions made from the stones of cleared fields.

Pretty cool though. I will have to research that more.

Mar 2012
Hard to believe this was five years ago. A few updates since then:

This one is going to change history. An early Greek civilization terraformed this hill/island by digging it terraced levels and surrounding it with marble:

Giant marble pyramid-shaped island complex rising from sea reveals secrets of ancient Greece's origins

“Our investigation has been transforming our understanding of early Bronze Age Cycladic culture and suggests that these very early Greeks were organisationally, technically and politically much more advanced than previously thought,” said the project’s co-director Michael Boyd, of Cambridge University’s McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research.

1563939742414.png

1563939770619.png

1563939830379.png

Mar 2012
A couple more Roman pyramids, stripped of their marble casing. Probably from the same era as the pyramids of Cestius and "Romulus."

This one is in Autun, France. The Pierre de Couhard

Google Translate

1563940213846.png

And this one is found along the Via Appia:

1563940314175.png

Last edited:
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Keros is not a pyramid, and it's not marble. It's a little island which looks pointy from certain angles, and yes, the locals certainly did a lot of construction there, including a lot of marble they had to transport from elsewhere. It's certainly an impressive site, and I DO hope we see a lot more about it, but that silly headline is just supposed to make us think "EEEEEGGGGYYYYYYYPPPTTTTT!!!!", when there is obviously no connection to Egypt at all. Not a lot of history to be rewritten, here.

Matthew

Mar 2012
Keros is not a pyramid, and it's not marble. It's a little island which looks pointy from certain angles, and yes, the locals certainly did a lot of construction there, including a lot of marble they had to transport from elsewhere. It's certainly an impressive site, and I DO hope we see a lot more about it, but that silly headline is just supposed to make us think "EEEEEGGGGYYYYYYYPPPTTTTT!!!!", when there is obviously no connection to Egypt at all. Not a lot of history to be rewritten, here.

Matthew
Sorry friend, pretty useless post considering I described exactly what it was, and posted a link so others can read further. Also, if you didn't notice, this thread has nothing to do with Egypt at all.

You might have tried reading the link. It IS re-writing history because the features of the terraformed hill pyramid show a sophistication not not previously thought possible in the region. I even posted a quote for you, and you chose not to read it.

It is close enough to merit consideration in my thread. A terraformed hill in China was recently described as "pyramid," for example.

Massive Pyramid, Lost City and Ancient Human Sacrifices Unearthed in China

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Sorry friend, pretty useless post considering I described exactly what it was, and posted a link so others can read further. Also, if you didn't notice, this thread has nothing to do with Egypt at all.
Gee, thanks! Sorry back at you, but "pyramids" evokes "Egypt" in most peoples' minds. In fairness, your thread title is "European" pyramids, but still...

You might have tried reading the link. It IS re-writing history because the features of the terraformed hill pyramid show a sophistication not not previously thought possible in the region. I even posted a quote for you, and you chose not to read it.
Gee, thanks again! I did read the article, and another one previously, and the quote. And I'm still baffled that any scholar of that region would think that stone construction was beyond the capabilities of those people. Sure, this particular site is impressive as hell! It very much deserves praise and more study. But "re-writing history"? Come on, that's a little extreme, don't you think? And that headline is pure clickbait, *meant* to suggest an Egyptian connection. It's deceitful. *You* did not write it, obviously, so I'm not trying to point a finger, I was just commenting on it.

It is close enough to merit consideration in my thread. A terraformed hill in China was recently described as "pyramid," for example.

Massive Pyramid, Lost City and Ancient Human Sacrifices Unearthed in China
Fair enough, it's your thread. I just think your definition of "pyramid" is pretty broad if you're going to include every structure or natural geological feature which is narrower at the top than at the bottom...

Matthew