Ancient Greece/Roman best books?

Jan 2016
Ohio
I was told some recommendations but seem to have lost them.

I though about buying the Encylopedia on both Ancient Greece and Roman Empire with cheif editor Carlos Gomez as they are on sale.

Are they a good read?

Any other recommendations?

Nov 2011
The Bluff
Now that's a wide ambit! Those you mention are a bit like the books I used back in 5th and 6th form (last two years of high school): try to cover everything in 400-450 pages. I ended up going to books by Hammond, Green and others as I found more detail. Are there any areas you are more interested in than others or are you just after general introductory works?

Jan 2016
Ohio
Now that's a wide ambit! Those you mention are a bit like the books I used back in 5th and 6th form (last two years of high school): try to cover everything in 400-450 pages. I ended up going to books by Hammond, Green and others as I found more detail. Are there any areas you are more interested in than others or are you just after general introductory works?
Anything and everything. Ive learned a lot about Greek heritage, way of life, war, etc. However, I have an itch for more. I enjoy all history, but I believe Ancient Greece to be my biggest enjoyment. I know much less about Roman so not sure too much where to start there.

After I'm happy with those, wouldn't mind adventuring more east into Mongol times.

A lot of my knowledge from Ancient to Medieval is also art based. Im not Art Historian by any means, but a knowledgable amateur.

Dec 2015
NZ
Have you read Rosemary Rowe's Libertus series? Besides being good mysteries, they're very good at showing how the Romanised Brish lived. Gillian Bradshaw has some good novels set in various times in the ancient world.

Stright non-fiction is Sitwell's 'The World the Romans Knew' and Wacher's 'Roman Britain'. Is John Boardman's 'The Greeks Overseas' too early for you? Possibly the same with ED Phillips 'Royal Hordes': an oldie but goodie, though not deep.

You'll already have read the appropriate volumes in Time Life's 'Great Ages of Man'..?

Similar History Discussions