Ancient Indian architecture, one of the greatest yet least appreciated?

Apr 2018
Karachi
i often wonder why indian architecture doesnt make to the list of fascinating ancient architecture along the lines of ancient greece, rome, egypt etc, some of the reasons i consider indian architecture to be one of the greatest ancient architecture is because

1) use of fired bricks: the reason why moen jo daro, harrapa and many indus valley cities remains survive is because they invented baked bricks. even though many mesopotamian cities emerged before indus valley civilization like ur, uruk, babylon etc, they all used rammed earth techniques up until the first mellunnium BC.

2) use of rock cut architecture: even though abu simbel, several greek tombs predate indian rock cut architecture, in india the interiors were developed to serve as monastries and temples, these date as far back as 300 BC

3) intricate carvings: in ancient greek, roman and egyptain architecture intricate carvings were seldomly used, where as indian architecture developed the very first use of intricate stone carvings.

4) stone masonry: india not only practiced stone masonry, it was exported to south east asia and india is the reason why many south east asian architectures developed from wood based to stone masonry, the examples of angkor wat, bagan of myanmar, ayothaya of thailand, borobodur of indonesia, my son of veitnam are evidence to the glory of indian architecture influence.

5) largest collection of ancient cities: india has one of the largest collection of ancient cites including nalanda university and several other buddhist monastries are one of the earliest examples of institutions in the world which are monumental in scale.

May 2017
indo
if you wanna honest opinion, indian architecture are in bad shape especially southern indian, not much artistic beauty, too much colors that make the architecture look like not glorious and high end

Apr 2018
Karachi
if you wanna honest opinion, indian architecture are in bad shape especially southern indian, not much artistic beauty, too much colors that make the architecture look like not glorious and high end
i was actually refering to ancient period when talking about architecture where i find that india is among very few countries to boast large umber of ancient architecture more than 2000 years old.

ill post some examples

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions