Ancient Indian architecture, one of the greatest yet least appreciated?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Not just the British, the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Norwegians, etc. Many people worked on Indian history and scriptures and we should never denigrate their work and be grateful for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indology#List_of_Indologists
India would still be great and a better place without the Indologists. We do not recite the Vedic mantras because of Indologists. We do not venerate our Rishis through pravaras because of Indologists. And most certainly we did not learn our philosophy from Indologists.

If any, the Indologists have spoiled the beauty and the essence of Sanatana Dharma by littering the sacred space by their ramblings.

My salutations to the great Rishis of India who have given us the way of life. My salutations to the great scholars of India who have given us the depth and insight. My salutations to genuine India lovers such as Sister Nivedita, etc.., who had nothing to gain but led their life for the good of India.

Jun 2017
usa
India would still be great and a better place without the Indologists. We do not recite the Vedic mantras because of Indologists. We do not venerate our Rishis through pravaras because of Indologists. And most certainly we did not learn our philosophy from Indologists.

If any, the Indologists have spoiled the beauty and the essence of Sanatana Dharma by littering the sacred space by their ramblings.

My salutations to the great Rishis of India who have given us the way of life. My salutations to the great scholars of India who have given us the depth and insight. My salutations to genuine India lovers such as Sister Nivedita, etc.., who had nothing to gain but led their life for the good of India.
Could not have said it better.
It is sad and laughable when people say that the Europeans came and discovered our history and presented it to us.

No they did not. They just translated it into English and often gave their own colonial supremacist spin and fed it to us.

Many Indians are comfortable with English since colonial times so we feel that the British made something that was not available before accessible to us.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
That is facile. The development of rigorous historical methods is a relatively recent development, originating in Europe essentially from the 18th Century onward, reaching some sort of maturity in the 19th Century. This was as great a revolution in human thought as the scientific revolution from C17 onward, and it has had as great an effect on the study of the history of Indian culture and thought as it has anywhere else in the world (whether the relevant studies have been carried out by Indians or foreigners). There is no escaping from it. Of course, such historical study can have uncomfortable effects in some areas, fir instance with regard to religion. No one is pretending that there was no previous study of history, there was, just as there scientific investigations prior to the scientific revolution, but it has all changed utterly and there is no going back. The contributions of Indologists cannot be dismissed without ignoring history itself.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA

Let's say that Indologists have discovered and brought to light the real history of India. Even if your claim that it has "spoiled the beauty and the essence of Sanatana Dharma", that still doesn't invalidate their findings. Hinduism is not unique in this. Other religions also had to face such fates for the same reasons. Modern historic research is done to discover the history truthfully, regardless of its effects on other areas.

Religious peoples live in their cocoons of fantasies and shouldn't be affected, in any case.