Ancient Indian artifacts/remains of late bronze age and iron age

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
What all artifacts/ archaeological remains do we have from Indian subcontinent between the decline of IVC (Middle-Late bronze age) and the establishment of Mauryan empire c.320 BCE (iron age)?
The likes of sanauli chariot and dagger comes to my mind at once

Also there are artifacts from Daimabad and then there is the copper-hoard anthropomorphs!

Towards the latter periods, Punch mark coins and even an ancient athenian coin are candidates.

I just posted whatever came to my mind at once. Please share all that you know of!

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
The Ghosts of Adichanallur Artefacts Haunt the ASI more than 100years :rolleyes:
1550061712217.png
COURTESY: ASI ----A Burial urn, its contents of various Racial skeletons and written inside of the urn in early Tamil-Brahmi script.[Inset]​
According to M.D. Sampath, retired Director, Epigraphy, ASI Mysore, the script has seven letters. He said: "It may be suggested that the writing is in "Tamil-Brahmi in a rudimentary form". Attempts have been made to blow up the writing so as to decipher the same. It may be tentatively read as follows: Ka ri a ra va [na] ta.
"Though the exact meaning is not clear, it is quite likely that the expression seems to suggest the Name of the Engraver of the record or the Maker of the Pottery or the Person whose Skeletal Remains are found interred inside the urn. The reading is subject to improvement. It is necessary to compare it with the graffiti and other scribbling found on the potsherds at different stratigraphical levels. The script seems to be archaic, perhaps coeval with the early megalithic period." Dr. Sampath pointed out that "this was "a rare occurrence" that the Script was written Inside the Urn. Normally, such writings were seen outside the urns. The technique of "Inverted Firing" used in the baking of black and red ware must have been adopted in baking this urn also. "How this method has been used here is a question that needs an answer from archaeologists," he said.

GOLDEN DIADEM
1550052614336.png
Gold Diadems with holes at the both ends to be tied with strings on the forehead unearthed at Adhichanallur, Now placed at Government Museum in Egmore, Chennai.

DIVERSITY OF SKELETAL REMAINS
Adichanallur skeletal data have come to be regarded as the keystone for many theories of race formation, which were based upon the tenets of an earlier Anthropological preoccupation called Racial Paleontology,” said Kenneth Kennedy, former professor of Physical Anthropology at Cornell University, New York in his essay, “Hauntings at Adichanallur: An Anthropological Ghost Story”, published in 1986.After research using advanced software and databases, and scrutiny of the fossil and semi-fossil records in the area, he testifies to the foreign origin of the people whose skeletal remains were found. He says they date to 2,500-2,200 BC.

DILEMMA OF DATING !
It is an open Indictment to the ASI and the Professors and Schloars of present and past Achaeologists [several of them had received the highest awards of excellence of "Bharat Ratna"or whatever ! But could not complete any of their Historically important Projects to its completion if not to the saisfaction of their acadamic Peer group ---all because of ad hoc "Dating issues" to suit the "Political Narrative of India" ! Stating from , Dwaraka ,Keeladi , Submerged part of Poombuhar , Sites of Ramayana and MahaBharatha to the present day "Ram Temple" in Ayodya Etc
After several dating for the Megalithic Adichanallur cultre had been published or "leaked" by ASI ranging from 800 BC ---->, 1500 BC ----> 1800BC in the past . Recently [i guess more than 6 months ago] the present Achaeiologist in charge with the " Aditchanallur Burial Site" in a public interview on TV confirmed that the "lowest level potteries" in the "Three Tier- Burial System" had been dated at 2500 BC by ASI using Optically Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) dating system !But......... they are awaiting for the Cabobon Dating results within the next 3 months to reduce the "margin of error "--So goes the of Dance of the Ghosts at the Adichanallur Burial Site !!

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
Can we put the date from 1900-320 BCE? And are you wanting to discuss recent discoveries or all artefacts discovered?
Yes Sir----I shall as you wish ! However i am convinced that the Burial Urn Potteries in the Second and the Top layers will be dated well after 1900 BC . I guess that particlar Burial Urn bearing the Rudimentary Tamil-Brahmi script most likely belongs to 600BC------800BC ;)

NB:There is another Thread "Archaeology Updates" running in parrallel and we shall able to discuss recently Discovered in that !!

Last edited:
May 2013
Can we put the date from 1900-320 BCE? And are you wanting to discuss recent discoveries or all artefacts discovered?
I'm wanting to discuss only those which are obtained between the Decline of IVC and rise of Mauryas. After mauryas, we have several architectural, numismatic and epigraphic evidence available to us. The period I want to discuss is the so called 'dark ages'. I did put terminus ante quem as c.320 BCE. But there isn't a fixed date we can circle on regarding the decline of IVC.

May 2013
Yes Sir----I shall as you wish ! However i am convinced that the Burial Urn Potteries in the Second and the Top layers will be dated well after 1900 BC . I guess that particlar Burial Urn bearing the Rudimentary Tamil-Brahmi script most likely belongs to 600BC------800BC ;)

NB:There is another Thread "Archaeology Updates" running in parrallel and we shall able to discuss recently Discovered in that !!
Yes sure! But if it belongs to said period, do discuss it here as well, we will be able to discuss in detail. How do you guess the dates for that burial urn?

May 2013
The Ghosts of Adichanallur Artefacts Haunt the ASI more than 100years :rolleyes:
View attachment 15563
COURTESY: ASI ----A Burial urn, its contents of various Racial skeletons and written inside of the urn in early Tamil-Brahmi script.[Inset]​
According to M.D. Sampath, retired Director, Epigraphy, ASI Mysore, the script has seven letters. He said: "It may be suggested that the writing is in "Tamil-Brahmi in a rudimentary form". Attempts have been made to blow up the writing so as to decipher the same. It may be tentatively read as follows: Ka ri a ra va [na] ta.
"Though the exact meaning is not clear, it is quite likely that the expression seems to suggest the Name of the Engraver of the record or the Maker of the Pottery or the Person whose Skeletal Remains are found interred inside the urn. The reading is subject to improvement. It is necessary to compare it with the graffiti and other scribbling found on the potsherds at different stratigraphical levels. The script seems to be archaic, perhaps coeval with the early megalithic period." Dr. Sampath pointed out that "this was "a rare occurrence" that the Script was written Inside the Urn. Normally, such writings were seen outside the urns. The technique of "Inverted Firing" used in the baking of black and red ware must have been adopted in baking this urn also. "How this method has been used here is a question that needs an answer from archaeologists," he said.

GOLDEN DIADEM
View attachment 15558
Gold Diadems with holes at the both ends to be tied with strings on the forehead unearthed at Adhichanallur, Now placed at Government Museum in Egmore, Chennai.

DIVERSITY OF SKELETAL REMAINS
Adichanallur skeletal data have come to be regarded as the keystone for many theories of race formation, which were based upon the tenets of an earlier Anthropological preoccupation called Racial Paleontology,” said Kenneth Kennedy, former professor of Physical Anthropology at Cornell University, New York in his essay, “Hauntings at Adichanallur: An Anthropological Ghost Story”, published in 1986.After research using advanced software and databases, and scrutiny of the fossil and semi-fossil records in the area, he testifies to the foreign origin of the people whose skeletal remains were found. He says they date to 2,500-2,200 BC.

DILEMMA OF DATING !
It is an open Indictment to the ASI and the Professors and Schloars of present and past Achaeologists [several of them had received the highest awards of excellence of "Bharat Ratna"or whatever ! But could not complete any of their Historically important Projects to its completion if not to the saisfaction of their acadamic Peer group ---all because of ad hoc "Dating issues" to suit the "Political Narrative of India" ! Stating from , Dwaraka ,Keeladi , Submerged part of Poombuhar , Sites of Ramayana and MahaBharatha to the present day "Ram Temple" in Ayodya Etc
After several dating for the Megalithic Adichanallur cultre had been published or "leaked" by ASI ranging from 800 BC ---->, 1500 BC ----> 1800BC in the past . Recently [i guess more than 6 months ago] the present Achaeiologist in charge with the " Aditchanallur Burial Site" in a public interview on TV confirmed that the "lowest level potteries" in the "Three Tier- Burial System" had been dated at 2500 BC by ASI using Optically Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) dating system !But......... they are awaiting for the Cabobon Dating results within the next 3 months to reduce the "margin of error "--So goes the of Dance of the Ghosts at the Adichanallur Burial Site !!
What is written using that Tamil brahmi? Is there a meaning to that word?

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
Yes sure! But if it belongs to said period, do discuss it here as well, we will be able to discuss in detail. How do you guess the dates for that burial urn?
Late Iravatham Mahadevan, who was undoubtedly an Authority on the Tamil-Brahmi /Indus scripts .Although he was at first very reluctant to date "Tamil -Brahmi Scripts" before Asokan period---In the last several years with the avalanche of new discoveries of similar scripts at various sites , He eventually accepted dates established with repeated dating methods up until c600 BC before his unfortunate demise!
ASI had "Leaked" to press through various Achaeiologists --dates ranging from 800 BC[ lowest] to the Adichanallur Burial Site!
Hence i took the liberty to guess a reasonable period 600-800 BC , as they keep quoting " Rudimentary Script of Tamil-Brahmi" ---Well after the decline of "Indus Scripts" ---In short as i have stated that it was only "my guess" ---Well Calculated to avoid any controversies indeed :)

Last edited:
May 2013
Late Iravatham Mahadevan, who was undoubtedly an Authority on the Tamil-Brahmi /Indus scripts .Although he was at first very reluctant to date "Tamil -Brahmi Script s" before Asokan period---In the last several years with the avalanche of new discoveries of similar scripts at various sites , He eventually accepted dates established with repeated dating methods up until c600 BC before his unfortunate demise!
ASI had "Leaked" to press through various Achaeiologists --dates ranging from 800 BC[ lowest]---Hence i took the liberty
to guess a reasonable period 600-800 BC , as they keep quoting " Rudimentary Script of Tamil-Brahmi" ---Well after the decline of "Indus Scripts" ---In short as i have stated that it was only "my guess" ---Well Calculated indeed :)
What do you mean by 'leaked'? Is there a link to ASI's domain of where this was found?

Similar History Discussions