Ancient Indian Ranged Weapon

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
At what time did they adopt the crossbow? It was in use in China the last couple centuries BC, so it easily could have spread to India.

Elephant-mounted troops used javelins.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
how about sling? is it used to?
I'm not specifically aware of the Indians using the sling, but it is a very primitive and nigh universal weapon, so I wouldn't rule it out. Longbows and javelins would have been much more common, though.

Nov 2009
Canada
At what time did they adopt the crossbow? It was in use in China the last couple centuries BC, so it easily could have spread to India.

Elephant-mounted troops used javelins.
To my knowledge, Indians never adopted the crossbow.
I am puzzled by why this is so, but it could be because the Indian bow, which has been around since 1200 BCE or so, is an extremely good ranged weapon. I don't think we have a bow of comparable range/accuracy until the Hun-bow (or in latter times, the english longbow). So, a preferrence of regular bows perhaps makes sense to prevail, because of its far higher level of accuracy.
Also, as the 100 years wars between france and england proved, the lesser accuracy,unweildly nature and slower re-load times of the crossbow would make it a significantly inferior weapon of choice in the face of the longbow/bows with extreme range.

Similar History Discussions