Ancient Indian Ranged Weapon

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
If a swordsman is so easily distracted. What if he is not.
Good point ! One should never do something like that unless one has a 'plan B' . That is, one should also be ready for it to fail. The first 2 times I did it, and scored a kill, I THOUGHT the 'teachers' were not that good .... but when you are in a class and 'learning from' a 'teacher' , it isnt polite to say so. The first was my current 'teacher' , he has very bad concentration and is easily distracted. The 2nd was an aikido teacher .... who had some good aikido sword techniques but heavily drilled in only one style, and they dont go 'outside the box' in training , usually, in class. But when he was moving and closing the school, on the last day when everyone else had left he asked me to stay back and offered a match to see if I could 'really' kill him . It took about 2 seconds.

The 3rd time I tried it, to get to your valid point, my opponent just batted it away with his sword :) ... so I had to drop my other sandal and go barefoot ... not a real problem for me ... he could have maneuvered me onto rough ground, there was gravel car park near by (but he was an indoor trainer, usually, not used to using his environment to his advantage .... or maybe he was .... I can also kick gravel upwards into the face :)

Eku , the fisherman's oar , is often used in that way, flicking sand, dirt or gravel into your opponents face as you move in to strike'

Jun 2012
Malaysia
You wud not be able to that to my instructor though, I don't think. Not that big, but built like a tank, ASEAN TKD champion in his time. He cud land his kick - roundhouse, reverse roundhouse, thrust, reverse thrust, chopping axe, anything - on your head faster than you cud land your fist on his.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Well, let's just put it this way. Anything that can be mastered, and thereby becomes viable for use as a weapon, will be used as one. The humble staff became a commoner's weapon that even rivalled & indeed surpassed the sword for combat effectiveness. Even a stone or a rock can be used to kill. A sling or catapult can be an ancient sniper's 'gun'. I once hit a bird (poor creature) up a tree with a single catapult stone when I was a kid. So wud hv an ancient fighter killed an enemy, with a shot to the head, with a similar simple catapult, using a small lead ball as his 'stone'.

So, why not a discus or a chakram. Just becos you cannot imagine yourself using it properly, does not mean that it cannot be mastered by someone else & be effective in his hand. Now, that is not saying that one discus or one chakram can bring down twenty opponents at once, with just one throw. That wud be going into the realm of mythology. But one chakram or one discus bringing a man down with one good throw wud certainly be possible.
Also, if can be worn around the turban as a guard, taken off and used as a hand weapon, swung around using a cord or piece of material AND thrown.

- Please forgive the source and preliminaries , start at 1:07

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
You wud not be able to that to my instructor though, I don't think. Not that big, but built like a tank, ASEAN TKD champion in his time. He cud land his kick - roundhouse, reverse roundhouse, thrust, reverse thrust, chopping axe, anything - on your head faster than you cud land your fist on his.
Huh? Its a 'range weapon' , from a distance, the idea is to attack from a range BEYOND where they can ' ... on your head ' .

As far as 'hand to hand' goes, I have no doubt your instuctor could do what you claim, if I tried to 'land my fist on his head' , but I wasn;t talking abut that (nor ' boasting ' ) I was talking about the use of some 'range weapons' .

Your instructor would probably just duck it , like George ;) .

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Huh? Its a 'range weapon' , from a distance, the idea is to attack from a range BEYOND where they can ' ... on your head ' .

As far as 'hand to hand' goes, I have no doubt your instuctor could do what you claim, if I tried to 'land my fist on his head' , but I wasn;t talking abut that (nor ' boasting ' ) I was talking about the use of some 'range weapons' .

Your instructor would probably just duck it , like George ;) .
LOL. Dude, if I am a master swordsman, and I hv a sword in my hand, no shoe of any brand or shape is going to faze me.

I wud hv three options. If it looks like it's going to miss me, do nothing. If it looks like it's going to hit me, either duck or dance, or show off my prowess with the blade by cutting it up into pieces while it's airborne.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
You know, nobody has mentioned spittle as a potential ranged weapon. I mean, a little lump of oral fluid, blood red from the chewing of betel leaf with betel nut, with a little dose of lime, delivered with deadly accuracy from a yard or two away into your opponent's eye. Now, that wud be some weapon to be reckoned with, I believe.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions