Ancient item?

Aug 2018
Jord
Hello everyone!

I have a question about an item that a friend has given to me, and it is from Turkey, and it was found on the ground in the town of Kaymakli. To clarify further, it was NOT from the underground city in Kaymakli. I am not sure what it is and if it is indeed a historical item, and I was wondering if anyone may know!

I would like to make it clear that I am not selling this item.

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Your item appears to be a squashed box of a thin soft metal. My guess would be copper that is easily worked, and that would exhibit a green patina. The wave (?) pattern appears archaic, and probably was pressed out from the other side of the sheet forming the box walls. The twisted rope along the top of the box, and how the bottom was attached aren't clear at this point. Solder? Is it ancient? Probably not, or it wouldn't likely have been found sitting on the ground near a small town in Turkey.

Having been found and given you by someone you know and trust doesn't suggest a forgery. Estimating age from patina and degree of corrosion isn't for amateurs, especially when the source is from a dry climate. My guess is that the item may have been made sometime during the last 100 to 500 years. Old, but not ancient; an artifact that bridges the gap between our present and the world that vanished sometime during the 20th century. Cherish it. The value probably isn't great, so a skillful effort to restore the artifact may be worth considering to make more useful and appealing in your household.

Aug 2018
Jord
Your item appears to be a squashed box of a thin soft metal. My guess would be copper that is easily worked, and that would exhibit a green patina. The wave (?) pattern appears archaic, and probably was pressed out from the other side of the sheet forming the box walls. The twisted rope along the top of the box, and how the bottom was attached aren't clear at this point. Solder? Is it ancient? Probably not, or it wouldn't likely have been found sitting on the ground near a small town in Turkey.

Having been found and given you by someone you know and trust doesn't suggest a forgery. Estimating age from patina and degree of corrosion isn't for amateurs, especially when the source is from a dry climate. My guess is that the item may have been made sometime during the last 100 to 500 years. Old, but not ancient; an artifact that bridges the gap between our present and the world that vanished sometime during the 20th century. Cherish it. The value probably isn't great, so a skillful effort to restore the artifact may be worth considering to make more useful and appealing in your household.
Thank you so much for your insight! It does indeed look as if it is a squashed box, I didn't notice that at all when I looked at it! I am surely going to take care of it and cherish it, these kind of historical items hold a special place in my heart. Thank you again!

Similar History Discussions