And if Gaullois had defeated the Romans at the Battle of Alesia?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
If not Ceasar, perhaps a later Roman General might have tried conquering the Gauls. The defeat of the Romans might have stopped them permanently, as the battle of Teutonburg Forest stopped the Romans, but I have my doubts. Gaul was much richer than Germanyn, and the Romans had more to gain, so they would have had more to gain.

The Spanish put up a pretty good fight against the Romans, but they were eventually all conquered too.

But if the Gauls had managed to prevent being later conquered by the Romans, the history of Europe have been much different. France would be Celtic speaking, similar to the way Germany speaks German, and England would likely speaking something similar to Welsh.

Naima

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Venice
Perhaps Rome wouln't have turned in an Empire , the Senate could have posed some new rule system to avoid too much power in the hands of one general.

But then Rome would have expanded even more and faster as it was the republican system that brought Rome to expand and expand , so Rome was more aggressive when a Republic then when an empire.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I think Gaul eventually would have been conquered by some other ambitious Roman commander, or it would be gobbled up in stages. It was a rich prize, relatively close to Italy, and had lots of terrain that favored the Roman way of war. I'm also not sure if Vercingetorix' hegemony would last once the external threat of an invading Roman army had been removed.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
Then Caesar would have regrouped and smashed them. Alesia simply would have been another Gergovia.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I think Alesia was a win big or lose big moment for Caesar. Both sides were gambling on a decisive battle, but for Caesar it ended as another of his famous gambles that paid off. I'm also not sure that he survives a defeat at Alesia. On that the third day his situation was far more dire than it had been at Gergovia, and retreating with an intact army may not have been an option had he failed to break the relief force.

I'd rank Caesar's third day at Alesia one of the most dramatic days of his career. It ends with either total victory, or utter ruin.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions