And now, the Amazon is burning

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
A few weeks back I had a thread about the great fires of the Arctic circle and the Siberian forests. Now, it is the Amazon that is on fire. The two most important planetary lungs, burning. I find this tragically ironic and very alarming.

Why is the Amazon burning and how bad are the fires?

I've opened this thread in the Chamber section because there may be political implications regarding this environmental disaster.

Reactions: Tulius

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The difference between the Amazon and the Arctic, is that the Amazonian fires seem to have been started by people.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
A few weeks back I had a thread about the great fires of the Arctic circle and the Siberian forests. Now, it is the Amazon that is on fire. The two most important planetary lungs, burning. I find this tragically ironic and very alarming.

Why is the Amazon burning and how bad are the fires?

I've opened this thread in the Chamber section because there may be political implications regarding this environmental disaster.
I am a bit tired of the sensationalist media titles

The Amazon is burning ? Really ?

Definition of Amazon
river 4000 miles (6400 kilometers) long in northern South America flowing from the Peruvian Andes into the Atlantic in northern Brazil
NOTE: By volume, the Amazon is the largest river in the world. In length, the Amazon is the longest river in South America.

But of course these attention seeking scammers are talking about the Amazon rain forest..... This covers about 7 MILLION square kilometers .. this is a size comparable to the whole of Europe (10 mio sq km) or the US (9 mio sq km)....

This title is like saying that the US is burning ... there were for example over 70 000 wildfires in the US last year (and this article talks about 75 000 fires in the "Amazon " this year

Non event

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Slash and burn agriculture got out of hand?
Seems so. The president has lifted protection on the Amazon and has basically said he doesn't care about it.

Now Brazil says they don't have the resources to fight these fires.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
Macron offered to bring it up at the G7 summit and the Brazilian president told him not to interfere! The offer of a lot of firemen/water would not go astray, Surely!

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I look it as "Death by a thousand cuts".

Each individual incident that threatens the health of the planet can be shrugged off, but the cumulative effect is quite scary.

Reactions: Scaeva