Anglo-American trade union post Brexit?

Jul 2017
Europe
I always thought that Brits had a plan that after Brexit they would create an Anglo-american trade union similar to that of MERCOSUR. The union could look something like this:

A937A0A1-434F-4903-B251-18ACA1C33F28.png

Additionally, it could include some Commonwealth countries, but this would be the essence of it. Such union, in my opinion would be more viable than any other trade union out there and it would be a great competition economically to the EU or China. If a union like this starts to form after the UK leaves the EU, Brexit would make sense.

Oct 2013
Europix
Brexit would make sense.
IDK.

AFAIK, the Brexit was about UK regaining it's full sovereignty, being able to decide by it's own.

So, "similar to MERCOSUR " ... if You look a bit, MERCOSUR is negotiating a trade agreement with EU. MERCOSUR, not the member states of MERCOSUR , if You see what I mean.

Pricipialy speaking, it' would be a bit odd to me. Especially as (let'be honest with ourselves) any country in an union that comprises USA will be a junior partner. Even UK.

Dec 2015
USA
Interesting idea. I feel the better one would be a co operative between the Big 4(China, Russia, England and the USA(we can include Mexico and Canada in some way) or instead of that a World Union.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Not going to happen.

The British won't accept US standards on chicken and genetically modified foods, the US won't want Australian and New Zealand farm products competing with their own producers, and India, which has some of the most protected markets in the G20 won't open them up.

Jul 2017
Europe
Not going to happen.

The British won't accept US standards on chicken and genetically modified foods, the US won't want Australian and New Zealand farm products competing with their own producers, and India, which has some of the most protected markets in the G20 won't open them up.
They would have to make some concessions and negotiate. AU/NZ don’t produce that much farm produce to compete to compete heavily with the U.S. Thee would have to be some serious negotiations before everything is agreed. Maybe first a draft resolution and feasibility studies but it seems perfectly fine to achieve that in the near future. Now when the world is forming blocs. It’s much easier to find a common language when it comes to trade and cooperation with the countries who are culturally and economically similar, And have similar interests, than it was the case in the EU where basically richer countries were financing the poorer ones in return for geopolitical gains.

Similar History Discussions