Anglo-American trade union post Brexit?

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
This is not going to happen, at least not before the far future. The Trump administration is against multilateralism and sees trade as a zero sum game. They would want to have two british crown jewels: (nearly) unristricted access to the british market for american agicultural products and the NHS. American food standards would mean increased health risks for british citizens, genetically modified food and so on. I was amazed, when some british politicans said, they were alright with this and would put tariffs to zero, so food in the UK would be cheaper. Yes...but only in the short term. With zero tariffs companies from the USA would flood the british market with cheap food. British farming and the whole agrifood sector would be decimated and a few years later those companies could increase prices as high as they want to. Additionally, if the UK would put tariffs to zero unilaterally, the british and northern irish people couldn't even sell their products in the USA, because of WTO-rules. Also why would the UK leave the biggest free-trade block in history of mankind to join another one?
As for Australia and New Zealand, they already blocked the british ideas for bilateral trade at the WTO. Making a trade block with all of those countries simultaneously would be a nightmare.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Not going to happen.

The British won't accept US standards on chicken and genetically modified foods, the US won't want Australian and New Zealand farm products competing with their own producers, and India, which has some of the most protected markets in the G20 won't open them up.
I also dont see Australia getting on board with this. They didn't spend a generation re-aligning their trade agreements after the UK went into the EU, to simply unwind it all because the mother country comes beckoning

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
How did Australia realign their trade agreements over a whole generation? Did they realign it to do better trade with the EU (including the UK) or did they realign it away from UK and EU to other parts of the World?

Mar 2019
Kansas
How did Australia realign their trade agreements over a whole generation? Did they realign it to do better trade with the EU (including the UK) or did they realign it away from UK and EU to other parts of the World?
When Britain entered the EU, Australia was effectively frozen out of the market with their biggest trading partner. As a consequence we developed tighter relationships across Asia, which in hindsight has proved a very fruitful relationship

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
When Britain entered the EU, Australia was effectively frozen out of the market with their biggest trading partner. As a consequence we developed tighter relationships across Asia, which in hindsight has proved a very fruitful relationship
Not that I wish to re-ignite the debate 😊 but one thing that irked me before the referendum was the argument that the UK’s economic salvation lay with the Commonwealth.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Not that I wish to re-ignite the debate 😊 but one thing that irked me before the referendum was the argument that the UK’s economic salvation lay with the Commonwealth.
And it may yet be. Britain's natural trading allies would be New Zealand, Australia and Canada. Britain could easily access AUS/NA markets by joining the TPP, which has been mooted.

In orderto do a trade deail with India, Britain would have to relax immigration kaws for Indian citizens, which a Conservative governmetn won't be willing to do.

Similar History Discussions