Animosity between friendly nations ?

Feb 2008
Edge and Lucius. I'm not saying that there is any practical alternative to patriotism or that it can be replaced.

I'm pointing out the flaws, and telling you why compassion is a more virtuous trait, and how patriotism can interfere with your compassion.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
I think charity begins at home and spreads out from there into the neighborhood, town, state, country, world. Isn't that true everywhere?

Feb 2008
I think charity begins at home and spreads out from there into the neighborhood, town, state, country, world. Isn't that true everywhere?
How often is it that residents of different states do not extend their charity to citizens in different states?
How often do citizens of different nations not extend their charity to humans in different countries?

Surely, you recognize the large disparity.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
I'm not sure how to answer a question about how often something doesn't happen. I guess I only know for sure what I know personally -

http://www.ogt.org/regional_divisions/lincoln.cfm

(That's me with my arms folded standing behind the guy with the red Nebraska sweatshirt. I'm basically in charge of staying out of the way, but I do some publicity related stuff.)

Orphan Grain Train relief supplies/efforts are split about 50/50 between North America and the rest of the world.

Don't get me started on OGT. I'd talk your ear off.

Feb 2008
I'm not sure how to answer a question about how often something doesn't happen. I guess I only know for sure what I know personally -

http://www.ogt.org/regional_divisions/lincoln.cfm

(That's me with my arms folded standing behind the guy with the red Nebraska sweatshirt. I'm basically in charge of staying out of the way, but I do some publicity related stuff.)

Orphan Grain Train relief supplies/efforts are split about 50/50 between North America and the rest of the world.

Don't get me started on OGT. I'd talk your ear off.
To be fair, when it comes to donations made my private citizens, America is the most charitable nation on earth, even when it comes to donating around the world, and I'm not talking dollar amounts, I'm talking as compared per capita.

Yes America is taxed a lot less and lots of other European countries, per capita, beat us because of taxed charity, but, still, you see the point here.

Even, so, even if we are the most patriotic nation yet still the most charitable nation, my point is not to say that there are not very compassionate and patriotic people in the same soul. It is to say, that, with patriotism, we still do not view people of other countries as equals and we do not feel the same sense of duty to help poor people in, for example, Africa, as we do in, say, South Carolina.

I'm not saying that is an impractical attitude.

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Patriotism, in of itself, means that you are discriminate of your compassion, concern and activism, to the end that it is only towards your country.

One generally finds that if they are 'patriotic' then they are good people and that they are virtuous, yet only to the end that they care about people and the well being of their own nation. That is what is inherently wrong with patriotism.

This is patriotism vs. compassion.

So what exactly are you saying here ? Are you saying that we can have Patriotism or compassion, but not both ?
Or do you have some wonerful theory on how to make the two compatable :confused:

Prey tell.

Feb 2008
So what exactly are you saying here ? Are you saying that we can have Patriotism or compassion, but not both ?
Or do you have some wonerful theory on how to make the two compatable :confused:

Prey tell.
Please take the time to read, I have already addressed that question and that is not what I'm saying.