Anomaly in my Gotra pravar.

Aug 2019
India
I just found out that my Gotra and Pravar are all over instead of going into string line.

My gotra is Kaushik and my pravar are Aurava, Apalvan and Angiras.

How's that possible ? Aren't Aurava(Bhrigu) and Angirasa are two different clans/Lines ?

I was told that bhrigus and Angirasas don't intermarry due to closeness of gotra.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
For the benefit of readers, please explain what all these terms mean.

Aug 2019
India
For the benefit of readers, please explain what all these terms mean.
gotra is a unbroken male lineage from a famous Rishi or Saint of the ancient Vedic times. Brahmins mostly have 7 main and 104 minor Gotras, each Brahmani claims origin from these rishis.

in ancient times there are only two big Gotras from two different Clans named Angirasa and Bhrigus, both claiming to be first one who introduced fire worship among Aryan clans.

Jan 2019
Valencia
This is so specific and niche, I don't think anyone here can answer this question. You can ask some pandits in your native Gujarat when you come back from your holiday in Jammu. Good luck!

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
The intermarriage between persons of the same Gotra is discouraged. I belong to the Vatsa Gotra and could not have married a woman from the same Gotra. Seems to me a good precaution to prevent resultant problems with the progeny.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
The intermarriage between persons of the same Gotra is discouraged. I belong to the Vatsa Gotra and could not have married a woman from the same Gotra. Seems to me a good precaution to prevent resultant problems with the progeny.
People generally avoid close cousin marriages. Is there any evidence that shows that what you described is any better?

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
I never intended to compare this Hindu custom with any other thinking.
Those who bring up the point of using Gotra (male lineage) for marriages usually bring up the point that it avoids genetic risks associated with close kin marriages. My point is that people do easily avoid such risks by not having close kin marriages, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

I think there are other purposes for preserving the Gotra tradition. It is primarily a Brahmin tradition, though it can extend to twice born Hindu castes.