Another name for humans?

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I'd suggest that wisdom arises from the skillful use of knowledge; knowledge arises from the skillful understanding of information.

Feb 2014
Miami
Haveyou noticed the absence of any close relatives to Homo Sapiens Sapiens
in fact their demise match perfectly the arrival of our branch on their turf
accident ??
Yeeh tell that to a detective and he will smirk

As some Bantu cultures eat the pygmie people of central Africa, and our closest relative chimpanzees are seen as food in Africa. We probably ate all of our close relatives to extinction

Albino Africans are also hunted as some African cultures think they have magical properties if eaten.

And how about this. nudus simiae for humans. Naked ape.

Last edited:

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
"Mankind" is considered sexist and "humankind" is often used.
"People" is a potential world; then, "peoplekind" is a truly awkward sounding word that most would refuse using.
Life After People depicts a world after the extinction of the current Homo genus.
The term "People" can mean humanity already.
Sapiens? What if future humans evolve to be another species? The book Sapiens uses the term "sapiens" to mean current humans.
What would be the most inclusive general term for humanity?
What is the problem with the word "sapiens"?
Mankind.

Both Humanity and Woman come from the root word "man"- And to make a magilla over it is as stupid as the group that wanted a Professor fired for using the word Niggardly - because they ignorantly assumed it had some connection with the "N" word. ( which it doesn't) People's make believe imbecility over what they pretend to know about etymology is meaningless.

No word is "sexist" if it is not USED in a sexist context. ( and seeing sexist context where it isn't puts you in the same boat as those who see spaceships and ghosts )
Everyone and I mean everyone who speaks english knows what the word mankind refers to.

And, just to head this stupidity off at the pass, Adamant is not sexist just because the word "adam" and the word "man" are in it.

The name 'Adam' is no more sexist than the name 'Amanda'.

And the word ' Mandate' is NOT a demand that you go on a Date with a Man.

Reactions: Haakbus
Jun 2017
maine
I'd suggest that wisdom arises from the skillful use of knowledge; knowledge arises from the skillful understanding of information.
Yes, I agree with that. The two are often (but not always) inter-related. I'm sure we both know people who are very knowledgeable about a specific field but who are really hopeless with "common sense", every day matters. Similarly, there are those who have accumulated a lifetime of wisdom without setting foot in a school beyond the manditiory.

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Mankind.

Both Humanity and Woman come from the root word "man"- And to make a magilla over it is as stupid as the group that wanted a Professor fired for using the word Niggardly - because they ignorantly assumed it had some connection with the "N" word. ( which it doesn't) People's make believe imbecility over what they pretend to know about etymology is meaningless.

No word is "sexist" if it is not USED in a sexist construct.
Everyone and I mean everyone who speaks english knows what the word mankind refers to.

And, just to head this stupidity off at the pass, Adamant is not sexist just because the word "adam" and the word "man" are in it.

The name 'Adam' is not more sexist than the name 'Amanda'.

And the word ' Mandate' is NOT a demand that you go on a Date with a Man.
The word man meant human. The original word for adult male is preserved in words like werewolf and is cognate with Latin vir.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Watching a sport event... I doubt humans they are rational or logical beings ... rather they look like little evolved chimpanzees ...

Aug 2019
Southwest Florida
Are non-human animals of Earth any less Earthlings than us? "Earthling" clearly refers to the planet Earth, and if we were part of an interstellar community then "Earthling" would make sense for humans. Or if there was an interplanetary/interstellar community, and one polity was centered around Earth then "Earthling" would again make sense. In the absence of any of that however, how are humans more "earthlings" than say, bears, or chimpanzees, or any species that is "of Earth"?
Of course could wait to we kill everything else off and then Earthling would be just right, maybe it is just before it's time.