Anthropogenic Indicators in Palynology and Migration Period(s)

Apr 2016
Sumer
Map of locations in Poland from which high-resolution pollen diagrams are available (state of research as of year 2003):

Palynological evidence seems to confirm that there was a hiatus in occupation or a large-scale depopulation in most of present-day territory of Poland during the so called Migration Period. However, I have checked palynological diagrams for a dozen or so out of those over 100 locations visible in the map posted above, and I noticed that there had been also other hiatuses in occupation or large-scale depopulations encompassing most of present-day territory of Poland, preceding the most recent one.

Hiatuses are represented by declines of anthropogenic indicators in pollen diagrams to minimal levels.

I have noticed the following pattern (after taking a look at diagrams representing a dozen or so sites):

- Phase of Neolithic settlement
- Hiatus in occupation
- Phase of Chalcolithic & Early Bronze settlement
- Hiatus in occupation
- Phase of Lusatian-Pomeranian cultures
- Hiatus in occupation
- Phase of Jastorf; Przeworsk-Wielbark cultures
- Hiatus in occupation
- Phase of Early Medieval settlement

On the other hand, I have not observed any hiatus between the times of Lusatian culture and of Pomeranian culture.

Some sites showed a decline in anthropogenic indicators, but not a hiatus. Other sites didn't even show a decline.

There was also no any hiatus separating Copper Age (Chalcolithic period) from the Early Bronze Age.

Last edited:
Apr 2016
Sumer
Do we have similar pollen diagrams from territories of other European countries?