Antifascist resistance in France and Serbia durning World War II

Nov 2018
Montenegro
After the occupation of France (1939) and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia (1941), the Nazis imposed the most rigorous rules in France and Serbia. Example, for one dead German soldier, 100 civilians would be shot. The French government advised people not to give resistance to the German occupation, in the hope that the allied army would succeed in releasing them soon.Yugoslavia was occupied completely in 11 days. The army of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia had no time to mobilize, i.e. the mobilization was ordered is too late. But even so, a large number of civilians took weapons and entered the streets by resisting the German occupation. France was largely relieved of the intervention of the United Kingdom and the United States of America. While Partisan leaders led by Marshal Josip Broz Tito successfully freed most of their teroriir from the enemy before the forces of the Red Army came.

France received a special position within the United Nations Security Council, as well as control over part of Germany. While Yugoslavia only received praise from both sides. The Allies wanted to weaken the Soviet influence in Europe, putting pressure on the liberated countries to oppose the "new evil". And to choose instead a democratic system. The leadership of the Soviet Union was shocked by the fact that the Marshall Plan did not encompass the Soviet Union and their "puppet states", as well as the pressure of the Allies that territories under the auspices of the USSR become democracies and decide for themselves which political system to choose.

How do you characterize the role of France and Serbia (Yugoslavia) in the Second World War?

Reactions: Futurist

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Partisans did not liberate most of Yugoslavia before 1944. They had numerous free territories, most famous ones being in Užice and Bihać, but eventually those territories were overrun. In fact, during the winter of 1943-44, the Axis managed to reclaim a lot of Partisan territory.

Sep 2013
France
France was occupied by 1940, not 1939.
After 1942, free France had a "new" army, thanks to negociations between General Giraud and the US. French troops actively participate in the Italian campaign, the liberation of France, and by 1944 it was hundred thousand of french soldiers, thanks to the colonial empire and the US supplies, who invaded Germany.
France did not "recieve" a control over part of Germany. France was not, in the initial plan, allowed to invade Germany. It was De Gaulle who ask his marshals to cross the border with 300 000 men, saying something like "once we'll be there, let's see if they dare to draw us back".

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
France was occupied by 1940, not 1939.
After 1942, free France had a "new" army, thanks to negociations between General Giraud and the US. French troops actively participate in the Italian campaign, the liberation of France, and by 1944 it was hundred thousand of french soldiers, thanks to the colonial empire and the US supplies, who invaded Germany.
France did not "recieve" a control over part of Germany. France was not, in the initial plan, allowed to invade Germany. It was De Gaulle who ask his marshals to cross the border with 300 000 men, saying something like "once we'll be there, let's see if they dare to draw us back".
France actually did receive an occupation zone in Germany after the end of WWII--it simply wasn't allowed to permanently keep any of it. The blue is the French occupation zone in Germany after the end of WWII:

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
France actually did receive an occupation zone in Germany after the end of WWII--it simply wasn't allowed to permanently keep any of it. The blue is the French occupation zone in Germany after the end of WWII:

Correct. The Soviets wouldn’t give up any of their “zone” to the French, so it was carved out of the western allies’ zones.

May 2013
USA
The Partisans did not liberate most of Yugoslavia before 1944. They had numerous free territories, most famous ones being in Užice and Bihać, but eventually those territories were overrun. In fact, during the winter of 1943-44, the Axis managed to reclaim a lot of Partisan territory.
Without fail, all you need is to call upon a Serb if you want to diminish Serbs' own achievements. What other country in Axis occupied Europe fielded full fledged brigades in 1941 and divisions in 1942? What other nation managed to carve a territory/state of Uzice Republic in the midst of Europe only several months after being occupied by Nazis? How many Serbs paid the ultimate price in battles against Nazis and their satellites or perished in Jasenovac (my direct family member) and other concentration camps? While I honor and value each and every organized resistance group in Europe, from Norway to Italy, no one save for Polish and Belorussians come even close to that level of organized and massive fighting resistance. As a Serb from RS in Bosnia, I am proud of my family members being in Partisans and Chetniks from the very beginning until the end of the war. They knew what they were fighting against and against what odds.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Without fail, all you need is to call upon a Serb if you want to diminish Serbs' own achievements. What other country in Axis occupied Europe fielded full fledged brigades in 1941 and divisions in 1942? What other nation managed to carve a territory/state of Uzice Republic in the midst of Europe only several months after being occupied by Nazis? How many Serbs paid the ultimate price in battles against Nazis and their satellites or perished in Jasenovac (my direct family member) and other concentration camps? While I honor and value each and every organized resistance group in Europe, from Norway to Italy, no one save for Polish and Belorussians come even close to that level of organized and massive fighting resistance. As a Serb from RS in Bosnia, I am proud of my family members being in Partisans and Chetniks from the very beginning until the end of the war. They knew what they were fighting against and against what odds.
All that doesn't mean the Partisans liberated most of Yugoslavia before 1944 which is what the OP claimed. I do honor the Partisans and I admit that, unlike the Chetniks, they never collaborated with the Axis, but let's not exaggerate their accomplishments. Speaking of Jasenovac, one must ask the question why the Partisans never tried to liberate it.