Any actual photos of the Tichitt-Wallata complex?

Aug 2018
Ontario
I was browsing images of the Dar Tichitt complex on some forums but noticed that many posters there were unknowingly posting photos of much more recent town settlements such as Kumbei Saleh. This is understandable given the heavy architectural similarities between the two sites, but it suggests that people are simply grabbing the first images of stone masonry in West Africa they can find and labeling it as "Tichitt-Wallata" without verifying sources. I've witnessed Ouadane, a completely separate medieval town also located in Mauritania, passed off as a photo from the ancient Ouallata complex as well.

Images of the neolithic settlements are surprisingly scarce as a result. Even wikipedia can't seem to provide any images of Dar Tichitt itself on its own page. There are apparently 400 settlements in the area, but the only photos I can find are of Oualatta.

I would be grateful of some verification of the images in the African Architecture thread, supposedly of Tichitt-Wallata. Are those indeed pictures of the site rather than pictures of Kumbei Saleh, Ouadane or another town with similar architecture? Do those photos come from studies that go in depth on what was found there?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
I was browsing images of the Dar Tichitt complex on some forums but noticed that many posters there were unknowingly posting photos of much more recent town settlements such as Kumbei Saleh. This is understandable given the heavy architectural similarities between the two sites, but it suggests that people are simply grabbing the first images of stone masonry in West Africa they can find and labeling it as "Tichitt-Wallata" without verifying sources. I've witnessed Ouadane, a completely separate medieval town also located in Mauritania, passed off as a photo from the ancient Ouallata complex as well.

Images of the neolithic settlements are surprisingly scarce as a result. Even wikipedia can't seem to provide any images of Dar Tichitt itself on its own page. There are apparently 400 settlements in the area, but the only photos I can find are of Oualatta.

I would be grateful of some verification of the images in the African Architecture thread, supposedly of Tichitt-Wallata. Are those indeed pictures of the site rather than pictures of Kumbei Saleh, Ouadane or another town with similar architecture? Do those photos come from studies that go in depth on what was found there?

What you have described is essentially what has happened - internet confusion. People have conflated images of different places with images from Tichitt-Wallata. Not sure when it started but the conflation has been on for a while now.

Here are actual images:

"Vue de la partie centrale du centre sous-régional d’Akhreijit, sur la falaise de Tichitt"

Source: https://journals.openedition.org/nda/1584

Source: D.W. Phillipson - African Archaeology (3rd edition, 2005), p. 180

Some aerial images on this site:

https://archaeologie.bemerkenswelt.de/SAHARA/Dhar Tichitt.html

For some information about the material found at those sites, you can check out these two books:

E?conomie et socie?te? ne?olithique du Dhar Tichitt (Mauritanie). (Book, 1987) [WorldCat.org]

Tichitt-Walata (R.I. Mauritanie) : civilisation et industrie lithique (Book, 1984) [WorldCat.org]

Holl's book has a few photographs as well, similar to the images above.

May 2016
US
Yeah, I've tried clearing up the confusion on a couple forums before and was called a white troll and an "agent". I honestly think the people that do the research aren't confused, but rather intend to spread the misinformation and the rest just blindly accept it without doing any research on their own.