Any ancient/medieval movie in the last decade with decent historical accuracy?

Feb 2019
Thrace
War movies in particular but any would do! Since 2009, is there any pre-modern historical movie that doesn't overtly disregards actual history? Some posters mentioned Outlaw King as a decent movie! Is there any other option?

Reactions: Menshevik

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Have you seen Agora?

As to its historical accuracy, Idk too much about the period. But I remember liking it.

Valhalla Rising was good. But the same disclaimer above applies.

There's a Macbeth movie from 2015 with Michael Fassbender... haven't seen it though.

There's Silence, a movie about Jesuit priests in feudal Japan, i liked that one a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Openminded
Feb 2019
Thrace
Have you seen Agora?

As to its historical accuracy, Idk too much about the period. But I remember liking it.

There's a Macbeth movie from 2015 with Michael Fassbender... haven't seen it though.

There's Silence, a movie about Jesuit priests in feudal Japan, i liked that one a lot.
Agora's been on my watch-list for quite sometime. Guess I'll finally give it a go! :yes:

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Not "movie," but I just started watching Maximilian. So far, its holding my interest.

Reactions: Openminded
Feb 2019
Thrace
Wow, apart from Menshevik (whose suggestions are much appreciated) no one else proposed any movie. Guess there options are really slim...

I'm hoping this one to be decent: Medieval (2020) - IMDb

Also I've seen the Red Cliff series and the Yi Sun Sin movie. Both very entertaining but inaccurate.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Have you seen Agora?

Ah, the same old "evil Christians killed an enlightened pagan Hypatia".

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Was the film inaccurate? If so, how much?
1) Christians did not burn the Library of Alexandria. The library was burned centuries before - anywhere from Caesar to Diocletian's time.
2) Hypatia was not an atheist. That's the film pandering to a modern audience. Rather, she was a mystical Pythagorean/Neoplatonist.

That doesn't bother me overmuch , except that the film seems to be more of an anti Christian polemic than anything else - reinforcing the old trope that science and religion are in fundamental conflict..

Last edited: