Any books about the Spanish Empire in Europe?

Mar 2016
Australia
Specifically in the 16th century, under Charles V and Philip II, including their domains in Iberia, Italy and the Low Countries. I'm interested in reading about how each region was unique from the others, how it was administered, the local customs and traditions that existed, and the differences in culture and prosperity between them. I'd prefer something more scholarly in nature, with a heavy focus on primary sources. If there aren't any on this specific topic, I'll also accept recommendations about the Spanish Empire in general, although obviously with a larger scope it probably won't be as in-depth as the former.

Aug 2010
Ireland
Can't offer much as I've only ever read one book on this subject but as someone entirely new to it I found it very insightful.
Spain: The Centre of the World 1519-1682 by Robert Goodwin.

What made this a treat as that he doesn't just stick to the military and political side. He also goes into artistic and social issues. It really gives you a sense of what it must have been like to live in the era. It comes back a lot to the city of Seville, which is where most of the gold and silver from the Americas ended up. I really want to visit the city someday having read his descriptions of the architecture and monuments. I also like how he devoted a whole chapter (or most of it) to the life of Miguel de Cervantes.

And of course, there's plenty of stirring accounts of the wars in the Spanish Netherlands, Italy and elsewhere

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Can you read in Spanish? I think there are few languages very useful to study the Empire.... The Spanish Empire was a Polyglot Empire as Austria... so original sources (and specialized) books are in Spanish-French-Italian and also in Portuguese-German-Dutch.

For example: about the Spanish Empire in Africa (Northern Africa.. not talking about West Sahara or Guinea)....Spanish enclaves in Africa are matched to the Spanish Dominions in Europe, you can read:

De la Torre, Antonio: Documentos sobre las relaciones internacionales de los Reyes Católicos (6 books). Barcelona. 1949 - 1956. They are records (and only records) Catholic Monarchs between 1475 to 1516.

Alonso Acero, Beatriz: Cisneros y la conquista española del norte de África. Madrid. 2006

Alonso Acero, Beatriz: Los caracteres de la polémica cristiana contra el Islam, entre Basilea y Trento. 1999

Alonso Acero, Beatriz: Orán - Mazalquivir. 1589 - 1639: Una sociedad española en la frontera de Berbería. Madrid.2000 (This book is about the mixed society in the Spanish enclaves what today are Argelian cities).

Bunes Ibarra, Miguel Á ngel: La imagen de los musulmanes y del norte de África en la España de los siglos XVI y XVII. Los caracteres de una hostilidad. Madrid. 1989.

Suárez Fernández, Luis. Los Reyes Católicos. La expansión de la fe. Madrid. 1944

García Arenal, Mercedes y Bunes Ibarra, Miguel Ángel. Los españoles y el norte de África. Siglos XV - XVIII. Madrid. 1972.

García Figueras, Tomás. África en la acción española. Madrid. 1944

Sánchez Gijón, Ángel. La Goleta, Bona, Bugía y África. Los presidios del reino de Túnez en la política mediterránea del Emperador. Madrid. 2000, (About the forgotten Spanish kingdom of Tunis).

Gutierrez Cruz, Rafafel. Los presidios españoles del norte de África en tiempos de los Reyes Católicos. Melilla. 1997

I can add more books about the Spanish enclaves in North AFrica... from Morocco to Libya.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Italian lands knew a not brief Spanish domination. After Cateau-Cambresis the Spaniards obtained the control of large territories in the peninsula and the first phase of their domain here is remembered as the "Summer of San Martino", since the country knew a great economical growth and the population lived better than before.

There are some good works, unfortunately in Italian, like "Nel sistema imperiale: l'Italia spagnola" [In the Imperial System: Spanish Italy], an academic work by University of Salerno, published for the general public. Nel sistema imperiale

It's really interesting since it demonstrates that the first phase of the Spanish domination wasn't that "dark" here, on the contrary.

I haven't read this, but it's suggested for English speakers Spain in Italy

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I will now talk about one major issue of the Portuguese historiography:

I think that the period 1580-1640 in Portugal, when it was ruled by Spanish (Hapsburg) kings, is the least studied one of the Portuguese Modern History.

Anyway, quite recently, it was publish a collection of biographies of the Portuguese kings, made by academics, and fortunately the collection included the 3 “Spanish” kings, Filipe I, II and III (II, III and IV in Spain).

This are not just “biographies”, this are studies about the men and their period, fully contextualized:

D. Filipe I, by Fernando Bouza Alvarez;
D. Filipe II, by Fernanda Olival;
D. Filipe III, by António de Oliveira.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
For example: about the Spanish Empire in Africa (Northern Africa.. not talking about West Sahara or Guinea)....Spanish enclaves in Africa are matched to the Spanish Dominions in Europe, you can read:
A few years ago I bough “El sueño colonial”, by Fedérico Villalobos, Ariel, at a low price. It is good book, about the Spanish in Morocco, that focus more on the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries.

By the way, any tip about the West Sahara or the Spanish Guinea? (19th and 20th centuries)

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Both Alpin Luke and Tulius have recomended excellent works! Specially Spain in Italy and the "Filipes" (I like Oliveira´s Filipe III) The Planet King! And the last real King of Spain.

Well, about Italy I recommend also

Signorotto, Gianvittorio L´Italia degli Austrias: Monarchia Católica e domini italiani nei secoli XVI e XVII. 1992

Rivero Rodríguez, Manuel. Italia en la Monarquía Hispánica (Siglos XVI -XVII). 2004

Rivero Rodríguez Manuel. Felipe II y el gobierno de Italia. Madrid. 1998

Hernando Sánchez, Carlos José. El reino de Nápoles en el Imperio de Carlos V: La consolidación de la conquista. Madrid. 2001

Alpin Luke´s recommendation: Musi, Aurelio. Nel sistema imperiale. L´Italia spagnola. Napoli. 1994

Musi, Aurelio. L´Italia dei vicerè. Integrazione e reistenza nel sistema imperiale spagnolo. Napoli.2000

Galasso, Giuseppe. L´Italia spagnola alla metá del secolo XVII. 2001

Cano Gardoquí, Jose Luis. La incorporación del marquesado de Finale (1602). Valladolid. 1955

Cano Gardoquí, Jose Luis. La cuestión de Saluzzo en los comienzos del imperio español. 1588 - 1601. Valladolid. 1962

Bombín Pérez, Antonio. Política italiana de Felipe III. ¿Reputación o decadencia?. Cuenca. 2004

Rizzo, Mario. Porte, chiavi e bastioni. Milano. La geopolitica italiana e la strategia asburgica nella seconda metá del XVI secolo. 2007

Chavarría Múgica, Fernando. "Filípolis, Filípica o Filipiana" hegemonía y arbitrismo a través de las «Advertencias sobre los presidios de Toscana» (About the Spanish presidios in Tuscany). Lérida. 1986.

Cantu, Francesca e Visceglia, Maria Antonietta. L´Italia di Carlos V. Guerra, religione e politica nel primo Cinquecento. Roma. 2003.

Marrades, Pedro. El camino del Imperio. Notas para un estudio de la cuestión de la Valtelina. Madrid. 1943.

Maffi, Davide. Il confine incert. Il "Problema" Monferrato visto con gli occhi di Madrid (1550 - 1700). Milano. 2006

Muto, Giovanni. Strategie e struture del Controllo Militare del Territorio del Regno di Napoli nel Cinquecento. 2006

Others Muto, Giovanni´s articles about the Empire in Italy.

Spagnoletti Angelantonio. Principi italiani et Spagna nell´età Barocca. Milano. 1996

In fact, you can find hundreds (if no thousands) books, articles etc about the Spanish Empire in Italy... Italian people played a major rol in the Empire.

But you should read Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch and German. Of course, not the only languages spoken in the Empire.. but yes the most important.. I think.

regards.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
A few years ago I bough “El sueño colonial”, by Fedérico Villalobos, Ariel, at a low price. It is good book, about the Spanish in Morocco, that focus more on the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries.

By the way, any tip about the West Sahara or the Spanish Guinea? (19th and 20th centuries)

Hello Tulius

here you can find the book "El Sahara Occidental en la bibliografía española" (Western Sahara in Spanish bibliography). De Dalmases y Olabarría, Pablo Ignacio. University of Barcelona. 2013. 826 pages.

About Spanish Guinea (1777 - 1968) this short essay: La colonización española en el Golfo de Guinea (The Spanish colonization in Gulf of Guinea).
Spanish Guinea in WW1.
The first expedition to Fernando Poo in 1777
And the Descolonization: Campos Serrano. Alicia. Nacionalismo anticolonial en Guinea Ecuatorial, de españoles a guineanos.Madrid. 2003 (Free online).

Apr 2018
Italy
Italian lands knew a not brief Spanish domination. After Cateau-Cambresis the Spaniards obtained the control of large territories in the peninsula and the first phase of their domain here is remembered as the "Summer of San Martino", since the country knew a great economical growth and the population lived better than before.
The estate di san martino was between 1550 and 1600, and the recoer was due to the end of Italian Wars. In 1600 there wa a period of economic decadence, expecially in ands under spanish rule.

Similar History Discussions