Any books about the Spanish Empire in Europe?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Hello Tulius

here you can find the book "El Sahara Occidental en la bibliografía española" (Western Sahara in Spanish bibliography). De Dalmases y Olabarría, Pablo Ignacio. University of Barcelona. 2013. 826 pages.

About Spanish Guinea (1777 - 1968) this short essay: La colonización española en el Golfo de Guinea (The Spanish colonization in Gulf of Guinea).
Spanish Guinea in WW1.
The first expedition to Fernando Poo in 1777
And the Descolonization: Campos Serrano. Alicia. Nacionalismo anticolonial en Guinea Ecuatorial, de españoles a guineanos.Madrid. 2003 (Free online).
Outstanding!!!

Thanks.

Mar 2016
Australia
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys, I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately I only speak English so I can't read many - if any at all - of the books I've been recommended. I understand that it's sort of my own fault for asking about a relatively specific topic of regional history, though.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
There were two kinds of Spanish Dominions in Italy: one territories belonged to the Crown as Sicily, Naples, Milanesado, Sardinia, States of Presidios in Tuscany etc othes were independent.. but a kind of Spanish protectorate on themw as Genoa (And in some time, Rome)... in fact, I think only Venice was free from the Spanish control.

The Spanish Control in Italy was also a Italian Control on Italy! That is the reason because The Spanish Dominions in Italy were intact at the beginning of the 18th century ...whilst in Low Countries took place a slow.. a slow, very slow loss of territories in the seventeenth century. Italian dominions continued in the Crown throughout the seventeenth century, without significant losses.

"In Italia, in particolare, le posizione spagnoli apparivano inttate". (In Italy, the Spanish dominions were intact)... (Galasso writing about the Spanish Dominions in Italy in 1701 when Charles II died)...

Spain was able to resist the French attacks during 17th Century in better condictions that in Flanders. And In 1690 in Lombardy they won one of the last Tercios Victories..

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys, I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately I only speak English so I can't read many - if any at all - of the books I've been recommended. I understand that it's sort of my own fault for asking about a relatively specific topic of regional history, though.
For Italy, try this because it is exactly what you want

Spain in Italy

There're lot of more specific papers, particularly about Spanish Naples, like this

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/hist...e/the_place_of_naples_in_the_17th-century.pdf

http://historyweb.ucsd.edu/_files/news/marino-john/Marino in Astarita Companion.Final.2013.pdf

In the case of the Netherlands, the issue is heavily intermigled, of course, with the Eighty Years War. In this case, start here History of the Low Countries chapters 3.3 and 5

A comprehensive study of the EYW can be found in Geophrey Parker The Dutch Revolt

If you want to know the Spanisy Army in the Netherlands, of course Parker again with his classic The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road, 1567-1659

In the case of Portugal, I recommend this work a lot for Portuguese Asia Portuguese Trade in Asia Under the Habsburgs, 1580–1640

For global view of the Spanish Empire, John Elliott Imperial Spain 1469-1716

Finding something about the Franche-Comté in English, I fear that's almost impossible

Mar 2016
Australia
For Italy, try this because it is exactly what you want

Spain in Italy

There're lot of more specific papers, particularly about Spanish Naples, like this

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/hist...e/the_place_of_naples_in_the_17th-century.pdf

http://historyweb.ucsd.edu/_files/news/marino-john/Marino in Astarita Companion.Final.2013.pdf

In the case of the Netherlands, the issue is heavily intermigled, of course, with the Eighty Years War. In this case, start here History of the Low Countries chapters 3.3 and 5

A comprehensive study of the EYW can be found in Geophrey Parker The Dutch Revolt

If you want to know the Spanisy Army in the Netherlands, of course Parker again with his classic The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road, 1567-1659

In the case of Portugal, I recommend this work a lot for Portuguese Asia Portuguese Trade in Asia Under the Habsburgs, 1580–1640

For global view of the Spanish Empire, John Elliott Imperial Spain 1469-1716

Finding something about the Franche-Comté in English, I fear that's almost impossible
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check these out.

Similar History Discussions