Any good animations or games based in pre-colonial africa?

Oct 2015
Florida, USA
I notice a disgustingly low shortage of media based in pre-colonial Africa. For example, there are Disney movies based in just about every part of the world and culture from America (Pocahontas) Asia (Mulan) Middleast (Aladdin) and no need to even mention Europe since there are too many to name. As far as Africa... there are virtually zero except for ones that take place IN Africa but aren't particularly about it (ie: Lion King and Tarzan). It's like if anyone ever uses Africa in any media, one of 2 things happens:

1. It is used soley as a medium for scenery or augmentation (such as Tarzan who is a white man living in the African forest)
2. It is portrayed purely as a primitive, savage landscape filled with wildlife, dangerous animals and uncivilized tribes.

What I'm looking for is ones that are actually based on rich and sophisticated kingdoms of the past. Shows, films, video games, etc. Are there any out there? I have made it a priority to give Africa a new and imposing image in the media. I have to start small since I'm just one man and not a professional but I will be airing a YouTube series based on these great Kingdoms as well as mythologies of West Africa. It will take place in a mythical continent known as Otiile. Here is my first episode. Tell me what you think please and subscribe if you enjoy it. Thanks :D: https://youtu.be/JSOVIfBC2P0

Last edited:
May 2015
Sunderland
I notice a disgustingly low shortage of media based in pre-colonial Africa.
A disgustingly low shortage? So there's loads of it then.:)
Now given that prior to colonization little was known about the place other than you really didn't want to crash onto it's coasts, you sailed around it.

Pre colonial Africa? That phrase has a familiar ring to it :cool:

Oct 2015
Florida, USA
ote=Oranjeboom;2338894]A disgustingly low shortage? So there's loads of it then.:)
Now given that prior to colonization little was known about the place other than you really didn't want to crash onto it's coasts, you sailed around it.

Pre colonial Africa? That phrase has a familiar ring to it :cool:[/quote]

Yea I meant to say "disgustingly large" but when I went to edit, it was too late. Also I beg to differ, there is more than enough known about it. It's just that nobody respects the history enough to talk about it or portray it. Our history was systematically erased as an augmentation to slavery. Even though slavery is long gone, this "empty history" complex is still alive and well.

Last edited:
May 2015
Sunderland
ote=Oranjeboom;2338894]A disgustingly low shortage? So there's loads of it then.:)

Pre colonial Africa? That phrase has a familiar ring to it :cool:
Yea I meant to say "disgustingly large" but when I went to edit, it was too late. Also I beg to differ, there is more than enough known about it. It's just that nobody respects the history enough to talk about it or portray it. Our history was systematically erased as an augmentation to slavery. Even though slavery is long gone, this "empty history" complex is still alive and well.[/QUOTE]

[Citation Needed]

Oct 2015
Florida, USA
Yea I meant to say "disgustingly large" but when I went to edit, it was too late. Also I beg to differ, there is more than enough known about it. It's just that nobody respects the history enough to talk about it or portray it. Our history was systematically erased as an augmentation to slavery. Even though slavery is long gone, this "empty history" complex is still alive and well.

[Citation Needed][/QUOTE]

It was but it's still there. There are still hundreds of thousands of books, there are still oral histories, there are still artifacts, ruins, standing structures, monuments, etc. There is still more than enough to go on. Even Native Americans have stories about them in the form of films and games and their history was dealt an even bigger blow than Africans. I'm not college educated on the topic and even I have enough to go on to make a film if I had the resources. I'm doing what I can with paper and colored pencils though.

Last edited:
May 2015
Sunderland
I notice a disgustingly low shortage of media based in pre-colonial Africa. For example, there are Disney movies based in just about every part of the world and culture from America (Pocahontas) Asia (Mulan) Middleast (Aladdin) and no need to even mention Europe since there are too many to name. As far as Africa... there are virtually zero except for ones that take place IN Africa but aren't particularly about it (ie: Lion King and Tarzan). It's like if anyone ever uses Africa in any media, one of 2 things happens:

1. It is used soley as a medium for scenery or augmentation (such as Tarzan who is a white man living in the African forest)
2. It is portrayed purely as a primitive, savage landscape filled with wildlife, dangerous animals and uncivilized tribes.

What I'm looking for is ones that are actually based on rich and sophisticated kingdoms of the past. Shows, films, video games, etc. Are there any out there? I have made it a priority to give Africa a new and imposing image in the media. I have to start small since I'm just one man and not a professional but I will be airing a YouTube series based on these great Kingdoms as well as mythologies of West Africa. It will take place in a mythical continent known as Otiile. Here is my first episode. Tell me what you think please and subscribe if you enjoy it. Thanks :D: https://youtu.be/JSOVIfBC2P0
I watched it and it's very well done. I look forward to the second installment.

Oct 2015
Florida, USA
Nope, you can start as any desired nation; Mali, kongo, native american, japan , even indonesia....

Though the political makeup is more dense in the "old world"
Intresting. That's surprising but that still isn't exactly an African based game though. It's more of an everyone based game lol. Also the density of the political makeup in the Old World makes more sense. Native American's didn't have many Kingdoms or Empires. There were the Aztec, Maya, Inca, Zapotec, and Tlaxcala. Other than that, most Native American civilizations lived in relatively small, stone aged communities.

Similar History Discussions