Anyone Like the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" A lot better than the recent movies?

Jan 2019
Finland
The worst thing about the new trilogy is not that they are trying to redo the OT, but that they are trying to do it in a way that does not make any sense. Endor was supposed to be perhaps the biggest victory for the Light Side, the fall of the Sith, the effective end of the Empire as the dominant force in the Galaxy, the rebirth of the Republic. And it lasted 30 years. By trying to be the OT, the sequels have only made the OT pointless. The Emperor is dead? Oh nevermind, there is this new and bigger Dark Side Lord. The Empire is gone? Oh nevermind there is this even more powerful First Order Empire. Our heroes triumphed? Haha, they did not.
It's like Disney couldn't take the risk of of abandoning the setting of plucky rebels fighting against an oppressive Empire, so they just handwaved everything away and made it so that the setting of the sequels is the same. Disney clearly wants to replicate the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Star Wars, but rushed it. The galaxy seems like a very small place in these new movies and it might have been better if at least a movie or two were building up the threat of the First Order, some clandestine investigation and then trying to convince the New Republic of this threat. As it is there's nothing in the Star Wars universe but Rebel Bases and massive fleets of Imperials, maybe a Space Las Vegas profiting off the two.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
And the reverse situation would have quite interesting to see. Put the villains in as underdogs. But I guess Disney believed that would not make money.

Reactions: Spartakus X

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
The Star Wars Chronology that goes a century or more into the future after the most recent Legends novels gives several details about the "ultimate fate" of various well known characters. That is where it basically mentions the Skywalkers fading into obscurity. IIRC the great grandson of Luke (and Mara Jade) is a bounty hunter of some sort. That is also the material that mentions the rebirth of a (somewhat) more benign version of the Galactic Empire which seems to mainly follow the philosophy of "expansion" rather than "oppression".
Wait, Cade is only Luke’s great grandson, meaning his father Cul was simply a grandson, meaning Ben’s son? Does any Legends material mention or just hint at Cul’s mother?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Don't know anything about "Legends" and the EU but the above seems far more interesting than what Disney has dished up. I'm enjoying the Mandalorian but that is because I like westerns.

Jun 2018
New York
The idea’s and character’s of the old Expanded Universe appeal to me much more than the new Canon. I have yet to read much of it, but needless to say the Solo Twins have a more appealing dynamic to me than what is shown on the big screen. And anything I read up on on the wiki leaves more of an impact without actually reading the books (which I really want to read).

The old EU may be messy but there is something organic about it, which is a deep contrast to the sterility of the new Canon.

Feb 2017
Latin America
The worst thing about the new trilogy is not that they are trying to redo the OT, but that they are trying to do it in a way that does not make any sense. Endor was supposed to be perhaps the biggest victory for the Light Side, the fall of the Sith, the effective end of the Empire as the dominant force in the Galaxy, the rebirth of the Republic. And it lasted 30 years. By trying to be the OT, the sequels have only made the OT pointless. The Emperor is dead? Oh nevermind, there is this new and bigger Dark Side Lord. The Empire is gone? Oh nevermind there is this even more powerful First Order Empire. Our heroes triumphed? Haha, they did not.
The Expanded Universe has the exact same problem. Peace in the EU didn't even last a decade. The Emperor was back literally within years, and for all this idiocy of Luke being character assassinated in the ST, the same thing happened in the EU because the ST is basically an adaptation of the Second Galactic Civil War where Jacen Solo (Kylo Ren) turns to the Dark Side and has to be killed by his sister Jaina (Rey), the same Jacen who was close to Luke and was his disciple.

Reactions: kazeuma

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Expanded Universe has the exact same problem. Peace in the EU didn't even last a decade. The Emperor was back literally within years, and for all this idiocy of Luke being character assassinated in the ST, the same thing happened in the EU because the ST is basically an adaptation of the Second Galactic Civil War where Jacen Solo (Kylo Ren) turns to the Dark Side and has to be killed by his sister Jaina (Rey), the same Jacen who was close to Luke and was his disciple.
Sure, the EU had problems as well, no one is denying it. But it was at least more creative than the new Canon. Disney would never dare to introduce something as radical and different as the Yuuzhan Vong, even though the "underdogs vs evil Empire" in the ST would work better if the Empire was the Vong Empire.

Feb 2017
Latin America
Sure, the EU had problems as well, no one is denying it. But it was at least more creative than the new Canon. Disney would never dare to introduce something as radical and different as the Yuuzhan Vong, even though the "underdogs vs evil Empire" in the ST would work better if the Empire was the Vong Empire.
The Yuuzhan Vong arc was dreadful and nothing but the ridiculous ramblings of anti-environmentalists and anti-indigenous, not to mention it ran for a whopping two dozen books and many tie-in comic books. The idea of them being immune to the Force didn't even last because already by the early mid point they were being disposed of as cannon fodder by Luke and other Force users, and it was completely dumb from the very beginning. The explanation given as to why they're unaffected by the Force is no less bad (they lost their planet and somehow being traumatised by it they severed their connection to the Force, sorry but what). The YV is not original either. It's the same arc as the OT except done in invasion form, and for science fiction in general it's your standard alien invasion storyline. The idea of all-organic technology may be original, but it's an utterly laughable concept when actually executed and shows why something being original doesn't mean it's good.

In my opinion, actually good story arcs from the EU are the Thrawn trilogy and the Abeloth arc. The YV is just dreadful and I really don't want Disney revisiting it at any point.