Anyone Like the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" A lot better than the recent movies?

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
The Yuuzhan Vong arc was dreadful and nothing but the ridiculous ramblings of anti-environmentalists and anti-indigenous, not to mention it ran for a whopping two dozen books and many tie-in comic books. The idea of them being immune to the Force didn't even last because already by the early mid point they were being disposed of as cannon fodder by Luke and other Force users, and it was completely dumb from the very beginning. The explanation given as to why they're unaffected by the Force is no less bad (they lost their planet and somehow being traumatised by it they severed their connection to the Force, sorry but what). The YV is not original either. It's the same arc as the OT except done in invasion form, and for science fiction in general it's your standard alien invasion storyline. The idea of all-organic technology may be original, but it's an utterly laughable concept when actually executed and shows why something being original doesn't mean it's good.

In my opinion, actually good story arcs from the EU are the Thrawn trilogy and the Abeloth arc. The YV is just dreadful and I really don't want Disney revisiting it at any point.
I can certainly agree that the Abeloth arc is underrated, and a huge step up from the previous Darth Caedus storyline; ok on paper but dreadfully executed and without the usual compelling development of new characters.

However, I like the deep intricacies of the whole YV conflict and just how desperate and fury- driven everything became. To me, it’s the reverse of the Caedus saga; this time being silly on paper but better than expected in execution, at least IMO. It also further develops Gilad Pellaeon, one of my favorite characters, as a truly relateable and humane imperial that we had already suspected him to be.

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
I absolutely adored the Star Wars Expanded Universe when I was a teenager, and to this day recall it with considerable fondness. Not least because the new trilogy and its tie-ins have been such a lamentable garbage fire.

Obviously you have to separate a lot of chaff to get the wheat of the old canon. But as a rule of thumb, I think anything that was written by Timothy Zahn, Matthew Woodring Stover, or James Luceno still holds up really well.

The Thrawn trilogy will always work much better as a sequel to the original movies than the actual Sequel Trilogy, simply because Zahn nailed the story and conflict dynamics so well.

But that said, the piece of Star Wars media that was closest to my heart was the two Knights of the Old Republic video games. Despite their dated graphics and clunky combat system, they're still the only product of the franchise that truly recaptured the magic of the old movies. It's a shame we will probably never see their like again.

Jan 2019
Finland
Don't know anything about "Legends" and the EU but the above seems far more interesting than what Disney has dished up. I'm enjoying the Mandalorian but that is because I like westerns.
A nice homage to the Seven Samurai too last week's episode. Clearly the makers of the Mandalorian are going more for The Wolf and the Cub and Kurosawa feel than Dambusters.

May 2018
Houston, TX
Umm....we are talking about works of fiction here aren't we? Not that I object; I often speak of Sherlock Holmes as if he were a real person... :rolleyes:

Reactions: kazeuma
Apr 2012
The Netherlands
While the EU was infinitely more interesting not every idea was a winner. I mean bringing back Palpathine through clone bodies was really, really, really dumb.

Its a good thing the Disneyverse didn't try to shoehorn Palphatine back into the.....oh.....oh dear.

The worst thing about the new trilogy is not that they are trying to redo the OT, but that they are trying to do it in a way that does not make any sense. Endor was supposed to be perhaps the biggest victory for the Light Side, the fall of the Sith, the effective end of the Empire as the dominant force in the Galaxy, the rebirth of the Republic. And it lasted 30 years. By trying to be the OT, the sequels have only made the OT pointless. The Emperor is dead? Oh nevermind, there is this new and bigger Dark Side Lord. The Empire is gone? Oh nevermind there is this even more powerful First Order Empire. Our heroes triumphed? Haha, they did not.
To be fair I don't think either Snoke or Kylo are ever really referred to as Sith so they could just be darkside users unattached to the Sith order. The Last Jedi also makes it very clear that Snoke is pathetic and not even worthy to clean the emperor's boots so he's certainly not an new and bigger dark lord. More like a smaller and wimpier dark lord. Sith's returning isn't an inherently bad idea. I always found the idea of Darth Krayt rebuilding and reforming the Sith order to be a really cool idea. It still maintains Vader and Luke's legacy as the original Sith's are all gone while also showing that the order can evolve with the times.

The First Order is an abysmal evil organisation. They have absolutely no traits aside from being really evil. We're two films into the new trilogy and we don't even know who they are supposed to be. Who are they and where did they even come from? Why are the good guys rebels again when the empire is long gone? How did the First Order take over the entire galaxy off screen? Right now we're just supposed to believe these stormtrooper cosplayers humiliated the old main characters simply because the opening text says they did.

Reactions: DIVUS IVLIVS

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
While the EU was infinitely more interesting not every idea was a winner. I mean bringing back Palpathine through clone bodies was really, really, really dumb.

Its a good thing the Disneyverse didn't try to shoehorn Palphatine back into the.....oh.....oh dear.

To be fair I don't think either Snoke or Kylo are ever really referred to as Sith so they could just be darkside users unattached to the Sith order. The Last Jedi also makes it very clear that Snoke is pathetic and not even worthy to clean the emperor's boots so he's certainly not an new and bigger dark lord. More like a smaller and wimpier dark lord. Sith's returning isn't an inherently bad idea. I always found the idea of Darth Krayt rebuilding and reforming the Sith order to be a really cool idea. It still maintains Vader and Luke's legacy as the original Sith's are all gone while also showing that the order can evolve with the times.

The First Order is an abysmal evil organisation. They have absolutely no traits aside from being really evil. We're two films into the new trilogy and we don't even know who they are supposed to be. Who are they and where did they even come from? Why are the good guys rebels again when the empire is long gone? How did the First Order take over the entire galaxy off screen? Right now we're just supposed to believe these stormtrooper cosplayers humiliated the old main characters simply because the opening text says they did.
If the existence of the Empire depends on the power and will of one particular figure, then it makes sense that they would want to have backups (in this case, clones) available just in case something happens.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
To be fair I don't think either Snoke or Kylo are ever really referred to as Sith so they could just be darkside users unattached to the Sith order.
They are Sith-like enough.

The Last Jedi also makes it very clear that Snoke is pathetic and not even worthy to clean the emperor's boots so he's certainly not an new and bigger dark lord.
Snoke has been built up far too much for him to die without much fanfare in the 2nd movie. I expect he will make a comeback. If he does not, that would make the ST even worse since one of the biggest mysteries of TFA was who Snoke is.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
If the existence of the Empire depends on the power and will of one particular figure, then it makes sense that they would want to have backups (in this case, clones) available just in case something happens.
The empire didn't exactly know about it though otherwise they wouldn't all have started mauling each other the moment old Palps died at Endor. The clones were for Palps and not the empire.
Snoke has been built up far too much for him to die without much fanfare in the 2nd movie. I expect he will make a comeback. If he does not, that would make the ST even worse since one of the biggest mysteries of TFA was who Snoke is.
Perhaps that was the plan before they brought back Palphatine.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
The empire didn't exactly know about it though otherwise they wouldn't all have started mauling each other the moment old Palps died at Endor. The clones were for Palps and not the empire.

Perhaps that was the plan before they brought back Palphatine.
Ahh, good point. In any case I don't remember the story's rationale for why it took 6 years for it all to happen. It should have been ready at least before Thrawn was, and that obviously didn't happen.

I was just saying the concept made sense on paper. The problem was that the timing and execution simply showed that the whole thing was made up. I love the EU as a whole, but things like this pretty clearly show that much of it is disunited and made up on the spot for cool spectacle rather than pre-planned for coherent storylines (to be fair though, a certain lack of coherence is pretty much inevitable when such a vast multitude of different authors are involved). I personally don't necessarily mind that though; I'm a sucker for spectacle.

Last edited: