Arabs and Swahilis in East Africa

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
I don't know much about the topic, though in my recent reading John Darwin's Unfinished Empire, it mentions British conflict with Arabs in Malawi. It made me think of some other scattered mentions of Arabs in the African interior (something about Omani Arabs planting some fruit, probably Mango, trees in pre-colonial tanzania and returning every so often and the Congo-Arab war between Leopold and some Arab Sultans) I remember reading from other sources (probably Wiki :lol:).

Arab traders definitely had a presence throughout Eastern Africa and even parts of the Congo.

Of course the most obvious example of Arab presence in Africa would be the Omani Empire and it's (semi)successor Zanzibar.

How sizable was the Arab and Swahili presence in East Africa and the African interior?

jehosafats

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
A lot of people claimed to be Arabs but were clearly more native than anything. For instance, Tippu Tib was considered "Arab" in his day. Its hard to tell the difference between him and other non-Arabs.

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
A lot of people claimed to be Arabs but were clearly more native than anything. For instance, Tippu Tib was considered "Arab" in his day. Its hard to tell the difference between him and other non-Arabs.
His mother was Omani and his father was Swahili with some Arab ancestors.

Last edited: