sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
It's a bit more South than the conventional location for Pre-harrapan
which raise interesting questions as to the extend of the predecessor culture

Oct 2015
India
At five sq kms, this Nani Khatia site in Kutch seems big - has 100+ graves also. Differential GPS and Drones are fun for students to use, but hope they get some carbon dating also. Pre-Harappan & Harappan period finds have been discovered some 300 kms south-east in Saurashtra also.

Today I was surprised to read that Kodinar in Saurashtra also has Harappan period finds. [1] Kodinar has a small village called "Mul Dwaraka" meaning 'Original Dwaraka'. It is one of the three locations which claim to be the ancient Dwaraka of Mahabharata times. Now that Harappan period artefacts have been discovered, its claim is stronger.

My hunch is that Harappan versus Aryans controversy will die its own death. In Harappan civilization, as the climate became dry in c. 2100 BCE (Mesopotamia famines) and as Saraswati dried up in c. 1900 BCE (Kalibangan depopulated), the Harappan population migrated. Those in northern side migrated into Punjab, Haryana, UP; while those on southern side to Gujarat. So there was mixture of urban Harappans with local people residing in newer geography. In this mix, landed the Indo-Aryan in waves and they too got mixed in the pre-existing mixture.

[1] http://drs.nio.org/drs/bitstream/ha...d=1C6C218CC0071BF7F2FFFE920015BF1D?sequence=1

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
At five sq kms, this Nani Khatia site in Kutch seems big - has 100+ graves also. Differential GPS and Drones are fun for students to use, but hope they get some carbon dating also. Pre-Harappan & Harappan period finds have been discovered some 300 kms south-east in Saurashtra also.

Today I was surprised to read that Kodinar in Saurashtra also has Harappan period finds. [1] Kodinar has a small village called "Mul Dwaraka" meaning 'Original Dwaraka'. It is one of the three locations which claim to be the ancient Dwaraka of Mahabharata times. Now that Harappan period artefacts have been discovered, its claim is stronger.

My hunch is that Harappan versus Aryans controversy will die its own death. In Harappan civilization, as the climate became dry in c. 2100 BCE (Mesopotamia famines) and as Saraswati dried up in c. 1900 BCE (Kalibangan depopulated), the Harappan population migrated. Those in northern side migrated into Punjab, Haryana, UP; while those on southern side to Gujarat. So there was mixture of urban Harappans with local people residing in newer geography. In this mix, landed the Indo-Aryan in waves and they too got mixed in the pre-existing mixture.

[1] http://drs.nio.org/drs/bitstream/ha...d=1C6C218CC0071BF7F2FFFE920015BF1D?sequence=1
A unidimensional immigration of Indo-europeans is never going to solve our problem. There clearly has been more than one migrations, even from the steppe land as is assumed now. One company came during the Early-Middle bronze ages and, other during Middle-Late bronze ages. I think the company/companies that came during the EMBA were present among the Indus valley, albeit in lower numbers. Now which set initiated the composition of Rig Veda is crucial to our understanding of the timeline.

May 2013

This paper seems to be from 2009. Has there been a follow up to this find?

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA

Just because you say that Indo-Aryans landed and mixed in waves itself doesn't let the controversy die. It is only after we firmly establish that the Aryans and Harappans are not different peoples that this bogus theory will die.

How much of common sense does it require to read and understand that the geography and fauna of the Vedic people are from the same area that the Harappan remains are excavated? This is the only country where people intuitively do not believe that the archaeological remains are reflection of the stories depicted in texts! It is unbelievable to see that the people of India still hold on to their colonial masters' fantasies.

Wake up Indians, wake up! Show some originality in thought, question the narratives handed down by the Europeans.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
A unidimensional immigration of Indo-europeans is never going to solve our problem. There clearly has been more than one migrations, even from the steppe land as is assumed now. One company came during the Early-Middle bronze ages and, other during Middle-Late bronze ages. I think the company/companies that came during the EMBA were present among the Indus valley, albeit in lower numbers. Now which set initiated the composition of Rig Veda is crucial to our understanding of the timeline.
Let me ask you this, how did you tie Rig Veda with EMBA? Please give me an answer based on your understanding.

May 2013
Let me ask you this, how did you tie Rig Veda with EMBA? Please give me an answer based on your understanding.
I'm not tying. I'm saying; even if we assume the foreign origin of IE languages (to eurasian steppe people), we have to consider that multiple waves have come from there and which branch wrote Rg Veda is another question overall.