Archaeology Updates (India)

Oct 2015
India
@Ashoka maurya

On the 'drinking vessel' / inkpot shaped extension. Upinder Singh also points out that even Mother Goddess figures had some depressions like this.

My guess - yes guess - is that they could have been used as oil-lamps because people in an urban society could have been involved in some work or leisure activities after sun-down.

However, one needs to physically study the objects to come to above conclusion even tentatively.

Oct 2015
India
Indus Valley Throne:

Seeing this object for the first time. Is this an authentic Harappan artefact? Which is the archaeologist discovered it? What is the source? We should be beware of objects in 'private collections'. There are fraudsters in Pakistan who make fake Harappan artefacts and try to sell them as genuine antiques. I used to see/receive such offers from Pakistani on my Facebook account when I was using the account for following Pakistani archaeology.

This is really interesting rather mind blowing artifact, a metal bell simply cannot end up at new zealand shores by floating around, so tamil ships must have reached there and the dating is particularly interesting since it dates to pre european explored new zealand based on the type of tamil script which is archaic

i also think that eurocentric european scholars are playing down this artifact since their presumed notion is nobody reached/explored new zealand before europeans did, so automatically the tamil ship must have been seized and transported to new zealand by europeans like portugese etc. completely rejecting the possibility that tamils might have landed on new zealand shores which i think more eurocentric then anything else. It is suggested that portugese might have used tamil ships while exploring new zealand, but portugese exploration is also merely a theory since no concrete evidence of their presence there.

thirdly if tamils could have reached SEA, china, philippines etc why couldn't have they explored new zealand or australia which were all really interconnected anyway including philippines and several indonesian merchants were known to have traded with northern parts of australia and its inhabitants.

There are possibilities of tamil ships being captured by europeans etc as they state it happened, but then, why isnt it a possibility that tamils didn't reach there already?

given that how indian navigation is so blatantly undermined and downplayed im not surprised at this european narrative to be honest.

Tamil bell - Wikipedia

1555314148241.png

how long before all these ''european exploration'' stuff is debuned and challenged?

regards

Last edited:
yup, didn't really understand what was the ''rant'' in it when my post was backed by credible ''cambridge'' and ''columbia'' university press sources. probably the topic will be safer to discuss in non european forums. the thread was locked in response of my reporting one chinese guy's post for ''rudeness''.

the sinauli chariot is most probably horse driven as there are evidences of horse driven ekka two wheel carriages and daimabad chariot also indicating horse drawn chariot.

regards

Last edited:
Apr 2019
India
yup, didn't really understand what was the ''rant'' in it when my post was backed by credible ''cambridge'' and ''columbia'' university press sources. probably the topic will be safer to discuss in non european forums. the thread was locked in response of my reporting one chinese guy's post for ''rudeness''.

the sinauli chariot is most probably horse driven as there are evidences of horse driven ekka two wheel carriages and daimabad chariot also indicating horse drawn chariot.

regards
Atleast your 'rant' was genuine. Here some people are trying to prove that Mauryan were vassals of Greeks. Haha
Well this discovery proves Indian knew of chariots before supposed 'Aryan invasion'. If only they could decide which animal drew this chariot, we could get a clearer picture.

i think daimabad chariot, and ekka models discovered from mohenjo daro etc already proves that IVC had horse drawn chariots/carriages. i dont think there is any need for further proofs, two ae more than enough.

the thing is, indian history is defined by european standards, indians need to have indept discussion and start challenging this colonial/european constructed indian history in light of evidences which is willfully disregarded/discarded/rejected/denied/ignored while doing indian historiography etc.

regards

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
the thing is, indian history is defined by european standards, indians need to have indept discussion and start challenging this colonial/european constructed indian history in light of evidences which is willfully disregarded/discarded/rejected/denied/ignored while doing indian historiography etc.
Since you mention it so often, and since I like history, and since I am European, can you elaborate what are the “european standards” and what are the contraposing “Indian standards”? I usually in history tend to think in the “history standards”, since I don’t think this kind of “standard” should be changing according to the area/region/continent that we are studding.