Archaeology Updates (India)

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
We know arabs have had a lot of ancient contact with India, for instance the numerals and geometry
This 'Yavan' word has been used since Mahabharat era
Indian horse breeds have things in common with the Arabian horse
A lot of ideas passed from India to Europe via the arabs all through history and yet there is no distinctive term for them in ancient Indian texts?? Not possible, it has to be 'Yavan'
Indians and Yanavas
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [ Excerpts]
Greek astronomical ideas began to enter India in the 4th century BCE , Indo-Greek influence on the Astronomical tradition is visible, with Sanskrit texts such as the Yavanajataka and Romaka Siddhanta. !
Varāhamihira goes on to state that "The Greeks, indeed, are foreigners, but with them this science is in a flourishing state."
Another Indian text, the Gargi-Samhita, also similarly compliments the Yavanas (Greeks) noting that the Yavanas though barbarians must be respected as seers for their introduction of Astronomy in India !!

Are you happy to say that the ancient Indians allegedly "Plagiarised" the scientific works of the Arabs [ Yavan]??

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Are you happy to say that the ancient Indians allegedly "Plagiarised" the scientific works of the Arabs [Yavan]??
Your post has two mistakes.
1. What was 'plagiarised'?
2. Arabs were not 'Yavanas'. The Original 'Yavanas' were the Greeks.

Actually, I do not that anything was 'plagiarised'. If anybody knows, please give me some idea about it. Varahamihira was writing a compendium on astronomy. He included the five doctrines that he knew of in his 'Pancha Siddhantika' and accepted that the Greek calculations were equally good. What is wrong with that? Did he borrow anything of the Greeks or Romans?

Tilak's opinion was that nothing was borrowed and Vedanga Jyotisha always had 27 'nakshatras'. the 14th 'nakshatras' was special because half of was before the autumnal equinox and the other half after autumnal equinox. That is why the Vedics named it 'Vishakha', divided into two. 'Shakha' as you know is a 'branch'. I will try to get some more information on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadi

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Indians and Yanavas
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [ Excerpts]
Greek astronomical ideas began to enter India in the 4th century BCE , Indo-Greek influence on the Astronomical tradition is visible, with Sanskrit texts such as the Yavanajataka and Romaka Siddhanta. !
Varāhamihira goes on to state that "The Greeks, indeed, are foreigners, but with them this science is in a flourishing state."
Another Indian text, the Gargi-Samhita, also similarly compliments the Yavanas (Greeks) noting that the Yavanas though barbarians must be respected as seers for their introduction of Astronomy in India !!

Are you happy to say that the ancient Indians allegedly "Plagiarised" the scientific works of the Arabs [ Yavan]??
Yavanas referred to Greeks or sometimes to Romans also, not Arabs. Arabs adopted Greek medicine and referred as Yunani Medicine. Infact, a large part of Islamic Golden age is taken from Indian Sanskritic texts.

Jul 2017
Sydney
I don't think we can be sure of 'Yavan' meaning Greek in Indian historical tradition

As far as the number system and geometry are concerned, we know it went India to arabs to ancient Greece and Europe

The reason I insist 'Yavan' in the most ancient Indian texts meant Arab is due to the very simple reason that they are our Asian neighbors and much more likely to interact with us compared to Greeks

Even Alexander's 'invasion' is doubtful as far as I'm concerned as the term 'Sikandar' was applied to multiple Arab or West Iranian heroes in Indian tradition

If you guys keep insisting that even the oldest references to 'Yavan' such as Mahabhatat still mean that for Greeks that would only imply Indian boundaries being not what they are today

By that last bit what I mean is that if Yavan indeed meant greeks in the most ancient Indian literature then it only means they were in our neighborhood, that is, either India was also present in the middle east or Yavan (Greeks) had still not migrated to Europe and were living in Asia (please remember we are talking of long before the Macedonians)

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Sydney
I'd also like to point out that Alexander clearly identified himself as a Macedonian, as is evident in the Iranian tradition of calling him 'Sikandar Makdooni'

I've no idea why Indians would insist on calling him Greek if Iranians so clearly recognized him as Macedonian rather than Greek

In effect, I believe he only reached till Iran

Jul 2017
Sydney
If someone has clear evidence to refute my idea, please share the evidence

Kindly don't post anything written by British era Indian historians as I won't admit that as valid proof

It should most preferably be epigraphical in nature, that is either a coin saying something on the lines of 'this marks tenth anniversary of Alexander reaching India' or a rock edict somewhere proclaiming this is the site of Alexander's victory over some XYZ Indian king

Something solid along those lines, please. Nothing flimsy like some Indian author trying to copy British ideas etc.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Words can drift in meaning .

when Wellington said that Waterloo was a "nice thing " he was using the old meaning of the world as "close "

it would make sense for Classical Hindus , rather self centered when dealing with barbarians outsiders ,to recycle words rather than making a new one
Renaissance Italians did the same with anything North of the Alps

Jul 2017
Sydney
Words can drift in meaning .

when Wellington said that Waterloo was a "nice thing " he was using the old meaning of the world as "close "

it would make sense for Classical Hindus , rather self centered when dealing with barbarians outsiders ,to recycle words rather than making a new one
Renaissance Italians did the same with anything North of the Alps
That is really a sensible approach

That represents a much more meaningful stance than claiming all references to 'Yavan' in classical Indian literature meant Greek, as many Indian scholars do

Now, the next issue we have to deal with is multiple type of foreigners mentioned in stuff like 'Manu Smriti' (Memoirs of Manu)

I wonder whether it really implied actual knowledge of their origins or as we've discovered in the case of 'Yavan' a not so clear understanding of their origin but general application of those terms (perhaps dictated by facial or physical features??)

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
The reason I insist 'Yavan' in the most ancient Indian texts meant Arab is due to the very simple reason that they are our Asian neighbors and much more likely to interact with us compared to Greeks.
Even Alexander's 'invasion' is doubtful as far as I'm concerned as the term 'Sikandar' was applied to multiple Arab or West Iranian heroes in Indian tradition.
Got some source? Or FBI bombed the towers? What kind of theories are you putting across?
I'd also like to point out that Alexander clearly identified himself as a Macedonian, .. if Iranians so clearly recognized him as Macedonian rather than Greek
In effect, I believe he only reached till Iran
You mean a Gujarati is not an Indian? Your last sentence would need a wholesale re-writing of world history.
You better keep to Rors. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NIROSHAN