Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Robert Edward Lee

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
Feb 2019
Serbia
I've only really studied Charles in detail, the others I have a layman's knowledge of. Pompey's career is certainly formidable but I don't know much about his battles. Charles was great but often overly-cautious and had something left to be desired.

May 2018
Michigan
I've only really studied Charles in detail, the others I have a layman's knowledge of. Pompey's career is certainly formidable but I don't know much about his battles. Charles was great but often overly-cautious and had something left to be desired.
I have the benefit of being fairly familiar with Pompey and Lee, but know very little about Archduke Charles. Pompey was certainly Lee's superior, and if my general impression of Archduke Charles career is a good one.

Oct 2018
US
Lee, without a doubt. Study Sharpsburg, the Seven Days, and Chancellorsville and then we'll have a conversation.

Or, for defensive fights, Cold Harbor, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania Court House, and The Wilderness.

Lee is only seconded to Stonewall Jackson, George Washington, and possibly Pershing in American History. Only seconded to Joshua, Captain of the Host of Israel, in world history.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 2010
Fallingwater
Lee, without a doubt. Study Sharpsburg, the Seven Days, and Chancellorsville and then we'll have a conversation.

Or, for defensive fights, Cold Harbor, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania Court House, and The Wilderness.

Lee is only seconded to Stonewall Jackson, George Washington, and possibly Pershing in American History. Only seconded to Joshua, Captain of the Host of Israel, in world history.

Interesting take

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Lee is somewhat overrated. He fought second string Federal generals and a second string and often disfunctional Federal army, the Army of the Potomac. He never faced the best Federal armies, the western ones, the Army of the Tennessee and Army of the Cumberland, and when in 1864 Grant, Ord and Sheridan went east from the western armies and tuned up the Armies of the Potomac and the James (a difficult job), well, Lee was bagged within a year.

Lee was a capable tactician and a mediocre strategist with a narrow vision, though in fairness it's hard to envision any successful strategy for the rebellion short of help from the Kyrellian Armada hidden in the rings of Saturn.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
UK
It's hard to take the rest of the post seriously when it contains this sentence. Are you seriously suggesting that we should believe that the best generals in history are 1) Biblical figures and 2) All American?

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Pompey. Of the 3, he may have been the weakest tactician but he was still the strongest overall campaigner.

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego

Well- except for that Grant fellow that beat Lee silly six ways from sunday.