Archduke Franz Ferdinand car - is this true

Mar 2019
Kansas
In a message board I saw it mentioned the number plate of the car he was killed in is A 111 118

As in Armistice Day 11 - 11 - 18

Is this true? I looked around the interwebs, but other than a photo seeming to show the number plate I did not see anything from a reputable site. I have had a lifetime fascination with useless facts and really think this would be something I would have encountered previously if true.

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
This photo was taken at Sarajevo Guildhall moments before the shooting, and the number plate is clearly visible,though it looks to be AIII 118, rather than A 111 118

File:Sarajevo Guildhall - Waiting on the Stairs.jpg

It's from Life magazine, so a reputable source.

photo of the rear plate;

Old photos of Franz Ferdinand’s Gräf & Stift gives a clear view (right) of its remarkable license plate.

btw,
John Wilkes Booth had a brother, Edwin, who was also an actor. Around 1863-64, Edwin Booth saved a Harvard student from serious injury, possibly death, at Jersey City Railway Station, when the student fell into the gap between the platform and the train. The student was Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the President.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
This photo was taken at Sarajevo Guildhall moments before the shooting, and the number plate is clearly visible,though it looks to be AIII 118, rather than A 111 118

File:Sarajevo Guildhall - Waiting on the Stairs.jpg

It's from Life magazine, so a reputable source.

btw,
John Wilkes Booth had a brother, Edwin, who was also an actor. Around 1863-64, Edwin Booth saved a Harvard student from serious injury, possibly death, at New York Station, when the student fell into the gap between the platform and the train. The student was Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the President.
Thank you for that. The car looks very similar to the contemporary photo I found. So it looks like it is indeed true.

And the Booth thing. Fact is indeed stranger than fiction lol

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in Ford's Theatre. John F Kennedy was assassinated in a Ford Lincoln, Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested in a theatre.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in Ford's Theatre. John F Kennedy was assassinated in a Ford Lincoln, Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested in a theatre.
That one I had actually heard before lol

One of my favorites is Violet Jessop. Served on the Olympic when she was seriously damaged in a collision with a British warship. She then survived the sinking of the Titanic, went on to serve on the Britannic which was torpedoed and sunk during WW1

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Austrian License plates between 1909 and 1919 began with a letter, followed by Roman numerals followed by three Arabic numerals. So in this photo the III should be read as 3 and they are letter I's not 1s.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Austrian License plates between 1909 and 1919 began with a letter, followed by Roman numerals followed by three Arabic numerals. So in this photo the III should be read as 3 and they are letter I's not 1s.
Trust someone here to know that ;)