Archidamea

Sep 2014
Texas
Is there any indication that the Spartan woman who organized the defenses of Sparta against Pyrrhus was the same woman murdered with Agis IV?

Sep 2019
Toronto
Who is the Spartan woman you are talking about? Her name is?

Pyrrhus' invasion of the Peloponnese in 272 BC was an invasion of south Greece by Pyrrhus, King of Epirus. He was opposed by Macedon and a coalition of Greek city-states (poleis), most notably Sparta. The war ended in a joint victory by Macedonia and Sparta.

I guess you mean Archidamia.

Archidamia was a wealthy Spartan queen. She was wife of Eudamidas I, mother of Archidamus IV and Agesistrata, grandmother of Eudamidas II, great-grandmother and grandmother of Agis IV. The earliest accounts of her depict her leading Spartan women against Pyrrhus during his siege of Lacedaemon in the 3rd century BC.

Sep 2014
Texas
Who is the Spartan woman you are talking about? Her name is?

Pyrrhus' invasion of the Peloponnese in 272 BC was an invasion of south Greece by Pyrrhus, King of Epirus. He was opposed by Macedon and a coalition of Greek city-states (poleis), most notably Sparta. The war ended in a joint victory by Macedonia and Sparta.

I guess you mean Archidamia.

Archidamia was a wealthy Spartan queen. She was wife of Eudamidas I, mother of Archidamus IV and Agesistrata, grandmother of Eudamidas II, great-grandmother and grandmother of Agis IV. The earliest accounts of her depict her leading Spartan women against Pyrrhus during his siege of Lacedaemon in the 3rd century BC.
thank you. That is what I thought but I saw two spellings. Now that I know this for certain, I am going to make sure she gets added to my list of great women.

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Ancient History
Similar History Discussions
Spartan Strategy During the Archidamean War