Architecture of Ancient India

Feb 2013
^^^^^

You are right in thinking some styles there are a little different. You can see Mesopotamian styles there(not much in the ones I've shown). There was cultural diffusion between the two. Persians, who were very influenced by Mesopotamian styles spread some influence to India for sure.

These people could be outsiders, cannot say.

But these guys below are definitely outsider Buddhist pilgrims.

Last edited:
Feb 2013
You are right in thinking some styles there are Persian. You can see Mesopotamian styles there. There was cultural diffusion between the two. Persians, who were very influenced by Mesopotamian styles spread some influence to India for sure.
One more.

Ashoka/Mauryan lion pillar

Now look at Mesopotamian(Assyrian) examples

Mesopotamian and Persian artists were probably in India. Or Indians were effected by their style and added their styles with their own.

Wow! Excellent man! Those reliefs provide a lot more information than just buildings! They show ancient lifestyles, costumes, dancers, a scribe noting down agricultural output, a tiller, musical instruments, elephants, chariots, weaponry, temples, adivasis, village life, city life, sieges, gods(especially vishnu).

All of these reliefs are about Buddhism and about the life of Buddha.

Last edited:
Feb 2013
These buildings with these pillars don't exist anymore, but you can see these designs in the cave art. When Indians were cutting through the rock, they obviously incorporated elements from their architecture into the cave art.

look above, they carved what is originally the wooden support beam in stone

look above, they carved what is originally the wooden support beam in stone

Here

Here is an image of the rock cutters above. Working hard for Dharma! :lol:

Last edited:
Feb 2013

This was probably a pretty big building.

Queen Maya(Buddha's mother)'s dream. Queen can be seen sleeping(top-left), she dreams white elephant(auspicious) and then goes from Kapilavastu to her parents. Reaching at Lumbini, however, gives birth to King Siddhartha the future Buddha.

Closer look!!

Jinit

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
India

I have similar questions to that of imperial. The Snake with 5 heads is also depicted in this picture. with most probably fire below the snake.

Is that snake "Shesh nag" which is usually depicted with Vishnu? Or is it just a sort decorative piece for throne for important people or objects?

Are those people zoroastrians worshiping the fire?

PS:Excellent thread and excellent pictures. :)

Feb 2013
The snake is Naga Muchalinda who protected Buddha from the elements. All of these reliefs are one way or another about Buddha, but there are gods like Indra, etc who are also in Buddhist mythology.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucalinda]Mucalinda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I dont know about the fire, but the three guys are supposed to be the Kashyapa bothers. The Naga is protecting Buddha, who they dont show an image of.

More buildings

Then who are the guys sitting on the snakes?

The guy on the left, sitting on a multi-headed snake. There is one on the right too.

The guy in the middle is Indra. And the place is Nandana Vana, Indra's garden. Those two snakes are Naga rajas(?) Could be Vishnu I guess. I'm not sure, because Hindu imagery is rarely seen in these reliefs.

Last edited: