Architecture of the Seljuk Turks

Feb 2019
Ariaca
Seljuqs fused iranian,armenian architectures and added their own turkic symbolism & style. There is even speculation that khazars had actually had their own architecture that is completely lost today due to the kievan rus&other slavic and mongol invasions, of which seljuqs heavily adopted (seljuqs used to serve khazarians before establishing their own kingdom).
They made good decision, Armenian architecture is superior to others of same region in my opinion, Armenian Churches are simply magnificent.

I think Even great Seljuks himself was a former Jew, considering all of his 4 children had Jewish names.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
They made good decision, Armenian architecture is superior to others of same region in my opinion, Armenian Churches are simply magnificent.

I think Even great Seljuks himself was a former Jew, considering all of his 4 children had Jewish names.

Armenian architecture is for sure beautiful, Georgian one has the strognest influence from it as far as i can tell. However most beautiful in the region statement is a bit questionable, as we do not have enough remains from Sassanians to judge, which supposedly influenced Armenian one to a great extent.

Dec 2017
-------
Nomadic Seljuks in the desert of south-western Kazakhstan and architecture? Hmm! The only architecture they had they captured. They were nomads. Their architrure were 'Yurts' made of sheep skin.

Feb 2019
Ariaca
Nomadic Seljuks in the desert of south-western Kazakhstan and architecture? Hmm! The only architecture they had they captured. They were nomads. Their architrure were 'Yurts' made of sheep skin.
Why do you think that seljuks or turks don't have their own style of Architecture beside yurts ?

Mar 2019
KL
Seljuqs fused iranian,armenian architectures and added their own turkic symbolism & style. There is even speculation that khazars had actually had their own architecture that is completely lost today due to the kievan rus&other slavic and mongol invasions, of which seljuqs heavily adopted (seljuqs used to serve khazarians before establishing their own kingdom).
i think that turkish/turkic/central asian architecture contribution is underrated and i would like to give an example of few stuff which turkish added as a distinct islamic feature

they popularised the pointed arches, it is thought that its persian, but i seriously think its turkish because i dont real think sassanids were keen on using pointed arches

the hamams, i think turks brought the concept into islamic architecture

minarets, thats not even a brainer, the concept of a tower along with a holy place was most probably introduced by the early turks into islamic architecture

the onion domes

the glazed tiling of the mosques seen today in for instance dome of the rock, the persian rchitecture in my opinion was a turkic addition.

the elaborate tombs

the decoration of the dome interiors, i think turks really impacted the decoration of the domes and of islamic architecture

the muqarnas, again this is an idea mostly probably developed in central asia in pre islamic era and turks brought it into middle east and it spread far and wide into andalus as well

the finials, i think the concept of adding finials were introduced by the turks as well

i most certainly think that the presian architecture infact is more turkic than it was sassanid, just pick up sassanid architecture and then compare it to the present persian architecture there is a huge difference.

the ''persian gate'' the concept of adding quranic scripts on the rectangular background to a point arch was most certainly a turkic addition.

the idea of four fold architecture, or persian chartaq was most probably a central asian idea.

turks also brought the idea of hospital into islamic heritage.

i do feel that turks/central asians had a very developed sense of architecture because they had a major buddhist influence, i also think that islamic painting also got a lot influenced by the turkic paintings. many ''chinese style renditions'' of persian miniatures are infact turkic in origin

regards

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Mumbai
i think that turkish/turkic/central asian architecture contribution is underrated and i would like to give an example of few stuff which turkish added as a distinct islamic feature

they popularised the pointed arches, it is thought that its persian, but i seriously think its turkish because i dont real think sassanids were keen on using pointed arches

the hamams, i think turks brought the concept into islamic architecture

minarets, thats not even a brainer, the concept of a tower along with a holy place was most probably introduced by the early turks into islamic architecture

the onion domes

the glazed tiling of the mosques seen today in for instance dome of the rock, the persian rchitecture in my opinion was a turkic addition.

the elaborate tombs

the decoration of the dome interiors, i think turks really impacted the decoration of the domes and of islamic architecture

the muqarnas, again this is an idea mostly probably developed in central asia in pre islamic era and turks brought it into middle east and it spread far and wide into andalus as well

the finials, i think the concept of adding finials were introduced by the turks as well

i most certainly think that the presian architecture infact is more turkic than it was sassanid, just pick up sassanid architecture and then compare it to the present persian architecture there is a huge difference.

the ''persian gate'' the concept of adding quranic scripts on the rectangular background to a point arch was most certainly a turkic addition.

the idea of four fold architecture, or persian chartaq was most probably a central asian idea.

turks also brought the idea of hospital into islamic heritage.

i do feel that turks/central asians had a very developed sense of architecture because they had a major buddhist influence, i also think that islamic painting also got a lot influenced by the turkic paintings. many ''chinese style renditions'' of persian miniatures are infact turkic in origin

regards
Whenever I look at 'persian' miniatures, specially from safavid period, the artform seems very chinese/turkic to me too. The pagoda style architecture is clearly a sign of their former buddhist heritage. I think the impact of turkic culture on Persia does not get as much attention as impact of persian culture on turkic peoples.

On the bolded parts though, I really doubt that. Sassanids were known to have dedicated hospitals, and their fire temples clearly show chahartaq architecture style. I feel dedicated research needs to be done on Iranian art of pre and post islamic eras. Post islamic Iran was largely dominated by turkics, so they would no doubt had left behind some form of influence.

Mar 2019
KL
Whenever I look at 'persian' miniatures, specially from safavid period, the artform seems very chinese/turkic to me too. The pagoda style architecture is clearly a sign of their former buddhist heritage. I think the impact of turkic culture on Persia does not get as much attention as impact of persian culture on turkic peoples.

On the bolded parts though, I really doubt that. Sassanids were known to have dedicated hospitals, and their fire temples clearly show chahartaq architecture style. I feel dedicated research needs to be done on Iranian art of pre and post islamic eras. Post islamic Iran was largely dominated by turkics, so they would no doubt had left behind some form of influence.
The cruciform ground plan appears in rudimentary form in Parthian buildings like Qaḷʿeh Zohak (Qaḷʿa-ye Żaḥḥāk) in Azerbaijan, which were influenced by Roman architectural forms
ČAHĀRṬĀQ – Encyclopaedia Iranica

i dont think that cruciform was used in the roman architecture, cruciform is also not simply chartaq which is a much more complicated design, i tried searching it but got no results, so i think that cruciform architecture was borrowed indirectly from india through bactria which was applying that form in their architecture since since atleast the mauryan times.

i do think that buddhism had a lot of influence in turkic architecture which also deeply influenced the persian architecture, it is simply not menioned because the credit should be given to the west and not east for the islamic architecture, especially since islamic architecture later influenced european architecture through their gothic churches.

i also think that indian red brick architecture influenced the roman architecture since middle east had no red brick architecture but mud brick one, how did romans learn to suddenly change their form from mud brick into burnt brick remains a mystery, they copied the greeks but the greeks were not known to apply burnt brick into their architecture esp the domestic one.

sassanids did build hospitals but it was through indians, and sources do indicate importing indian doctors to sassanid cities, after sassanids, the barmakids again went to the abbasid courts and reinstated the tradition of building hospitals.

regards

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions