Are all Gods anthropomorphic?

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
Although in the Torah, Moses, Jacob and Abraham are described as speaking with god (never seeing him) in Judaism god is an abstraction.

Aug 2014
pakistan
Muslims generally believe that Allah is not anthropomorphic. These verses of Quran are cited, “There is nothing like unto Him" (42:11) , "Nor is there to Him any equivalent ” (112: 4)" . "Vision perceives Him not, but He perceives [all] vision; and He is the Subtle, the Acquainted" [6:103]

But literalists among Muslims do believe that Allah does have hands, feet etc as mentioned in Quran :-

Some verses in Quran indicate that Allah is not the name for every thing, he resides in heaven or above heavens and sits on a throne;

"The Beneficent One, Who is established on the Throne" [20:5]

"Or do ye feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not send against you a violent tornado (with showers of stones), so that ye shall know how (terrible) was My warning? [67:17]

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
There is no image of god in Judaism. Has no real form viewed as an abstraction. Yes in the Torah there are descriptions of people walking and talking with god but in present time. at least t from my education that god is thought just try to pronounce the "name" (YHWH) Yes in the torah the term elohym is used = Gods on mountain, Plural)

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
In monotheistic religions , like.tue a
There is no image of god in Judaism. Has no real form viewed as an abstraction. Yes in the Torah there are descriptions of people walking and talking with god but in present time. at least t from my education that god is thought just try to pronounce the "name" (YHWH) Yes in the torah the term elohym is used = Gods on mountain, Plural)
The reason that both Islam and Judaim have had such strong tradition prohibitions sgainst depicting sn imagine of god in art is that they don't want these images accidently giving people impression God is anthropomorphic, that depicting God as an old man might encourage people from thinking he really was an old man.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The Abrahamic Faiths; Judaism, Christianity and Islam, all worship the same god YHWH, The trinity, Allah. The supreme being is a without gender and without form.

Neither Judaism or Islam make any visual representation of god. To do so is to commit idolatry. Muslims go further, forbidding any kind of picture of The Prophet, lest people be tempted to idolatry.

Protestant Churches .,mostly, have a cross, or nothing in their places of worship.

Catholic Churches have a minimum of a large Crucifix with Jesus on it. There is also usually a red lamp on or near the altar. That signifies the LITERAL presence of God, in the visual form of consecrated communion hosts.

Catholic churches also tend to have statues scattered around the Church. These will be of The Virgin Mary and Joseph, also statues of favoured saints (there are literally thousand to choose from)

In their homes, it used to be common to have smaller version of Church statues, especially of Mary. People would also have a large picture of Jesus, showing the five wounds of crucifixion. The heart would be shown with the crown of thorns wrapped around it. (no, really)

All of the objects I've mentioned are used for devotions and prayers, as' visual aids'. Catholics with an IQ above room temperature will take pains to explain they are not praying TO the object , but to the deity/saint it represents .Over the years, I have found some people of' simple faith' don't quite grasp the distinction .

I hope I haven't confused things even further.

Similar History Discussions