Are all nationalists arrogant?

Mar 2019
Unknown
Also are they generally bad people?

It's just the impression I get online. I've never known any nationalists in real life.

Here are the impressions I get:

Their country can never do anything wrong and if anything goes wrong, it is always the foreigners fault or some puppet organization in their country.

All problems in their country are always the foreigners fault or some puppet organization in their country.

They have a positively exaggerated view of their nation and sometimes they are fanatical about it. Sometimes it happens to those who live outside their country and haven't even been there.

They believe that their country can do anything on its own and outside help is bad or makes them into puppets.

They want to implement nationalistic laws that most of the time seems damaging to their country.

They seem to be racist too, foreign people are bad for their country and should be expelled.

They believe that all outside influence is bad and therefore they want to shut it out from their country.

Are they all like this?

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
What is nationalism? Love and devotion towards your natio / your ppl with whom you share common language, culture and history. What is patriotism? Love towards your patria/ your fatherland, the land you are sharing with your compatriots.

In the beginning of the XXth century it wasnt like that. Lots of political parties bore proudly 'national' 'nationalist', etc in their name. Perhaps the bad reputation this word has presently is due partly to WWII and certain German party. I read that the most powerful man on this planet said during his Houston rally i quote '.. You know what I am? I’m a nationalist, okay? I’m a nationalist. Nationalist. Nothing wrong. Use that word. Use that word.' as reaction to globalism and globalization supporters no doubt though strictly speaking the opposite of globalization is isolationism. Apparently, words, terms etc and their meanings evolve with time, so perhaps in the future it will be again nice and clean like patriotism.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Broadly speaking,psychogically,Hyper-Nationalism is different from Patriotism and this comes from deep seated inferiority and insecurity complexes of a group based on both group and individual experiences. Most Far Right and extreme right wing nationalists also come from a bad educational background and/or bitter family life or bitter experiences elsewhere. I don't call groups that want to secure the borders and the population more strongly as Hyper-Nationalism. To say,these things have subsided in the Western nations and Developed Asian countries like Japan,Korea,Singapore,etc by now. You see center to mid right wing for the most part in these nations. Most or all of people who belong to Hyper Nationalist subsets are of course arrogant to cover up their ignorance and wrongs or as an effect from their bitter past.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Unknown
Broadly speaking,psychogically,Hyper-Nationalism is different from Patriotism and this comes from deep seated inferiority and insecurity complexes of a group based on both group and individual experiences. Most Far Right and extreme right wing nationalists also come from a bad educational background and/or bitter family life or bitter experiences elsewhere. I don't call groups that want to secure the borders and the population more strongly as Hyper-Nationalism. To say,these things have subsided in the West by now. Most or all of people who belong to Hyper Nationalist subsets are of course arrogant to cover up their ignorance and wrongs or as an effect from their bitter past.
Thanks for that civilized response.

Mar 2016
Australia
I suppose I don't need to point out the amusing nature of OP not having listed which country he is from, while criticizing others for holding a nationalistic stance. This post is clearly not meant to inspire any legitimate discussion, but more for OP to vent a bit, have a little bit of a rant, and to establish an echo-chamber (hence the only post he replied to being one that agrees with him).

Mar 2019
Unknown
I suppose I don't need to point out the amusing nature of OP not having listed which country he is from, while criticizing others for holding a nationalistic stance. This post is clearly not meant to inspire any legitimate discussion, but more for OP to vent a bit, have a little bit of a rant, and to establish an echo-chamber (hence the only post he replied to being one that agrees with him).
My country has some really dumb nationalists and if you're wondering, I'm from the Philippines.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Depends what you mean by nationialism. It is easy enough to pick out nationalists of an extreme or unpleasant kind and point out all their bad qualitiies. Some nationalists are thus racist, a highly original perception that clearly needed to be passed on so that we can all join together to say what a nasty crowd they are, and how virtuous we are by comparison. Then we can engage in a lively debate by telling one another how wonderful we are and how ghastly these nationalists are.

"Every Bolsh is a Blackguard,"
Said Kipling to Haggard,
- "And given to tippling,"
Said Haggard to Kipling.

"And a blooming outsider,"
Said Rudyard to Rider.
-"Their domain is a blood-yard,"
Said Rider to Rudyard.

"That's just what I say,"
Said the author of They.
- "I agree I agree,"
Said the author of She.