Are all sexual taboos just a matter of ickyness?

Status
Closed
Nov 2014
ph
Are all sexual taboos just a matter of ickyness? I mean liberals often say that the taboo against male homosexuality is due to the yuck factor, but does not that apply to bestiality also. I mean having sex with animals philosophically may be about consent. But this seems like a flimsy rationalization unless using animals for food, keeping them in factory farms, for horse racing, or for medical experiments is somehow better than using them for sex? And the vast majority of people who have a problem with homosexuality would have no problems with eating animals, or using medicine that has been experimented on animals if it would save their skin. Likewise for incest, people use genetic problems as an excuse when to be frank people just find it icky, since genetic problems can be avoided with condoms, and yet people still find it icky.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
It's my understanding that many of the early sexual taboos came from a societal imperative to increase the population as a defense against foreign conquest. Any sexual behavior that did not support procreation such as homosexuality, masturbation, bestiality, etc, was discouraged in the hope that people would procreate instead. This is particularly true in the Middle East where the Abrahamic religions come from.

Incest could also be a societal imperative. If people could satisfy their sexual urges within the family then there is less incentive for people to form bonds outside of the family with society at large.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
It's my understanding that many of the early sexual taboos came from a societal imperative to increase the population as a defense against foreign conquest. Any sexual behavior that did not support procreation such as homosexuality, masturbation, bestiality, etc, was discouraged in the hope that people would procreate instead. This is particularly true in the Middle East where the Abrahamic religions come from.

Incest could also be a societal imperative. If people could satisfy their sexual urges within the family then there is less incentive for people to form bonds outside of the family with society at large.
In good substance this is correct. The human being is not an animal with a high capability to procreate [compare ourselves with cats or rats ...] and it's not a strong big ape [like gorillas]. We need to organize ourselves in societies and we have to ensure that the sexual activity will be "productive".

In the last century, we have seen an increasing social phenomenon of sexual liberalization. "Sex for pleasure", we can summarize all with this brief sentence. So that sex has become a form of entertainment, a nice game ...

As it's obvious, this has reduced the birthrate. But we have to put things in order: the emancipation of women has been a pivotal social dynamics which has generated the context for the "sexual revolution". This has been absolutely positive: free women select better than before and mankind is improving.

Nov 2014
ph
In good substance this is correct. The human being is not an animal with a high capability to procreate [compare ourselves with cats or rats ...] and it's not a strong big ape [like gorillas]. We need to organize ourselves in societies and we have to ensure that the sexual activity will be "productive".

In the last century, we have seen an increasing social phenomenon of sexual liberalization. "Sex for pleasure", we can summarize all with this brief sentence. So that sex has become a form of entertainment, a nice game ...

As it's obvious, this has reduced the birthrate. But we have to put things in order: the emancipation of women has been a pivotal social dynamics which has generated the context for the "sexual revolution". This has been absolutely positive: free women select better than before and mankind is improving.
Well if sex is for pleasure why is sex with animals or with your daughters still considered icky or even mentally ill, I mean the argument is that as long as what floats your boat right, and who are you to judge if someone finds pleasure having sex with a corpse or being rammed in the ass by a horse? Why would a free society ban sx with animals or with your sons and daughters when you would not outlaw eating meat or using animals as guinea pigs, which is basically torture? Is torture better than rape?

Nov 2014
ph
Well if sex is for pleasure why is sex with animals or with your daughters still considered icky or even mentally ill, I mean the argument is that as long as what floats your boat right, and who are you to judge if someone finds pleasure having sex with a corpse or being rammed in the ass by a horse? Why would a free society ban sx with animals or with your sons and daughters when you would not outlaw eating meat or using animals as guinea pigs, which is basically torture? Is torture better than rape?
Is it not hypocritical for liberals to be disgusted by incest and bestiality and being OK with sodomy, since all those things are all icky anyway?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Is it not hypocritical for liberals to be disgusted by incest and bestiality and being OK with sodomy, since all those things are all icky anyway?
Consenting adults. If two adults wish to engage in sodomy then there should be no social barrier against it. Children and animals can not make an informed decision to consent.

Hypocracy is not a sin that gets me angry. People are hypocritical. That's just the way we are. I would rather people go through life evaluating each situation on its own merits than blindly adhering to a rigid ideology.

Nov 2014
ph
Consenting adults. If two adults wish to engage in sodomy then there should be no social barrier against it. Children and animals can not make an informed decision to consent.

Hypocracy is not a sin that gets me angry. People are hypocritical. That's just the way we are. I would rather people go through life evaluating each situation on its own merits than blindly adhering to a rigid ideology.
Is killing an animal much better than rape, can animals even feel that much distress from rape? Wh should people care if they do not care if animals give consent before they them into a steak? Face it liberals just feel grossed out but in today's liberal society, saying that sexual practice should be banned because you find it icky is bigoted and only Nazis would regulate people's sexual behavior, so the liberals banned it under the false rationalization of consent. I mean bestiality was not even a big deal and nobody cares that it was done on the sly until that Boeing engineer named Kenneth Pinyan died from being anally penetrated by a stallion in Washington State back in 2005.

Last edited:
Sep 2014
Texas
Sodomy leads to e-coli infections, which in the ancient world may have actually caused the Athenians their war against Syracuse. General Nicias had one that was so bad he pissed blood. If you've ever had one, you know they can be painful. A distracted military leader doesn't think well.

Sex with sheep may have introduced syphillus to the human population.

Sex with ponies can get you killed. I read about two men whose internal organs were ruptured trying to have sex with Shetlands.

Plus homosexuality in the ancient world was not between consenting adults, it often involved children. In fact as a lot of folks pointed out, homosexuality was lumped in with every other nonheterosexual activity. Slaves had no say in what happened to them and if you were a cute boy you might end up in a man's bed with your testicles cut off. These boys were known to commit suicide once they were old enough to realize their lives were worthless.

And some taboos, nonsexual, had to do with religious control. Did you know the Catholic church banned the eating of horse to counteract Zoroasterism, from wince we get our Dec 25th Christmas. The Persians ate a lot of horse to celebrate the birth of Mithra.

This is the first time in history where victimization is frowned upon. Sex between adult men is perfectly fine. Sex with your sister is OK as long as she agrees to it. Sex between men and women is all right as long as both parties agree to it. We still don't want teachers having sex with their students because it smells of coertion and manipulation. We don't want men doing it with girls, or women with boys, or men with boys, or women with girls.

As for animals, sex with ponies is dangerous. Mares kick, and stallions are large. Not good. I know who've said they had sex with dogs. I supposed if its your dog it's OK.

The Greeks got tired of having to constantly protect their children from sexual advances. And slaves found a religion that said they were valuable in the eyes of a Hebrew god. No man changes his core values unless something better comes along. Imagine how horrible it was for the average Greek if death was preferred to following the Roman ways.

Nov 2014
ph
what is that probability of being kicked to death by having sex with a pony, 0.01 percent? Is that higher or lower than the probability, of getting into a fatal accident when you drive your car? Yet they do not ban car driving do they? And is there any proof that Roman or Greek style pederasty did any significant long lasting harm to Roman society? They seemed to do well enough if you want to go down that rabbit hole, maybe it is harmful only becUse moderm society tells people that it is harmful?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Is killing an animal much better than rape, can animals even feel that much distress from rape? Wh should people care if they do not care if animals give consent before they them into a steak? Face it liberals just feel grossed out but in today's liberal society, saying that sexual practice should be banned because you find it icky is bigoted and only Nazis would regulate people's sexual behavior, so the liberals banned it under the false rationalization of consent. I mean bestiality was not even a big deal and nobody cares that it was done on the sly until that Boeing engineer named Kenneth Pinyan died from being anally penetrated by a stallion in Washington State back in 2005.
1. Let's keep this conversation non-political. It's not just liberals who try to regulate sexual behavior. There are plenty of sex acts that conservatives find repulsive and try to ban.
2. Are you seriously advocating for bestiality? I think you'll have a hard time finding any political party that agrees with you on that one.
3. Sex is not just a personal decision with purely personal consequences. Society does have an interest in regulating sexual behavior. For instance, prostitution spreads disease. I'm not prepared to remove all sexual bans and taboos.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions