Are all sexual taboos just a matter of ickyness?

Status
Closed
Sep 2017
United States
1. Let's keep this conversation non-political. It's not just liberals who try to regulate sexual behavior. There are plenty of sex acts that conservatives find repulsive and try to ban.
2. Are you seriously advocating for bestiality? I think you'll have a hard time finding any political party that agrees with you on that one.
3. Sex is not just a personal decision with purely personal consequences. Society does have an interest in regulating sexual behavior. For instance, prostitution spreads disease. I'm not prepared to remove all sexual bans and taboos.
I mean, there is some merit with the animal consent thing. Animals can not consent to sex and therefore bestiality should not be acceptable. Then again, they can't consent to being tortured and eaten either, and therefore, I don't think that should be allowed either. However, this stems into a different argument and bestiality is only a small portion of the sexual taboo debate so I don't want to overly derail it.

Feb 2011
In most countries having consensual sex with people younger than 16-18 years old is statutory rape because these people are considered too young to know any better in regards sex. I know it may not seem like it but animals know even less than teenagers. Ergo in that regard if a dog is humping your leg you have no right to hump it back.

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Is it not hypocritical for liberals to be disgusted by incest and bestiality and being OK with sodomy, since all those things are all icky anyway?
Absolutely not.

Bestiality is animal abuse. Incest is rightly considered taboo because of the greater risk of genetic defects being passed on to children born of it. Government is justified in making both illegal. The rights of animals are protected in the former and children in the latter.

Incest aside government however has no business telling consenting adults what to do in the privacy of their own bedrooms. No one is harmed by two gay men having sex anymore than society is harmed by two straight consenting adults having sex. If the argument is going to be that sodomy should be outlawed because you find it "icky," would you extend that to sexual acts between straight men and women? After all one does not have to be gay to engage in anal sex.

That question was rhetorical by the way. I've yet to see an argument put forward in support of homosexuality being illegal that wasn't hypocritical or motivated by religious doctrine, the latter of which has no business being codified into law.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Absolutely not.

Bestiality is animal abuse. Incest is rightly considered taboo because of the greater risk of genetic defects being passed on to children born of it. Government is justified in making both illegal. The rights of animals are protected in the former and children in the latter.

Incest aside government however has no business telling consenting adults what to do in the privacy of their own bedrooms. No one is harmed by two gay men having sex anymore than society is harmed by two straight consenting adults having sex. If the argument is going to be that sodomy should be outlawed because you find it "icky," would you extend that to sexual acts between straight men and women? After all one does not have to be gay to engage in anal sex.

That question was rhetorical by the way. I've yet to see an argument put forward in support of homosexuality being illegal that wasn't hypocritical or motivated by religious doctrine, the latter of which has no business being codified into law.
Incest goes beyond the genetic deformities that occur when families breed. Can you imagine being an innocent child brutally sexualized by the person you call your parent? There is tremendous psychological damage done, even if a child is not conceived in the act. Otherwise, contraception would solve the first issue.

Incest goes beyond the genetic deformities that occur when families breed. Can you imagine being an innocent child brutally sexualized by the person you call your parent? There is tremendous psychological damage done, even if a child is not conceived in the act. Otherwise, contraception would solve the first issue.
Exactly.

Nature has a way of telling us what is right and what is wrong no matter how "I'm modern so I question every rule" type of persons reasoning for the opposite may be.

Children are actually some of the purest instinctual measure of right and wrong according to natures measures.

Murder someone in front of a child or an adult and they'll be horrified, scared and upset, steal something and see the untrustworthy reactions people have toward you and those feelings of awkward shame the thief feels when exposed.

Certain behaviors and reactions are hard wired due to evolution of what is healthiest for our species, mistrust breaks down social cohesion, inter family births can be defective etc.

Look at the effect on the brain killing people for no reason causes, serial killers have "issues", they are not normal mentally compared to someone who kills for self defense or in a combat situation, the brain is much more at peace and willing to come to terms with killing in self defense rather than the twisted mental issues which occur when someone walks around murdering for no reason.

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Incest doesn't necessarily include rape. Two adult siblings could engage in a consensual sexual relationship. It would not be rape, but still incest.

I would think any laws making incest illegal would be based around the potential harm it could cause to any children born of that union, rather than cases of rapes committed by family members, since rape is already covered by laws making sexual assaults illegal.

In any case there are very legitimate reasons for making incest illegal, whereas there are not for homosexuality.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Incest doesn't necessarily include rape. Two adult siblings could engage in a consensual sexual relationship. It would not be rape, but still incest.

I would think any laws making incest illegal would be based around the potential harm it could cause to any children born of that union, rather than cases of rapes committed by family members, since rape is already covered by laws making sexual assaults illegal.

In any case there are very legitimate reasons for making incest illegal, whereas there are not for homosexuality.
I respect your opinion. For me though, there is something wrong with two adult siblings engaging in consensual sex. That cannot be good for the psyche.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Are all sexual taboos just a matter of ickyness? I mean liberals often say that the taboo against male homosexuality is due to the yuck factor, but does not that apply to bestiality also. I mean having sex with animals philosophically may be about consent. But this seems like a flimsy rationalization unless using animals for food, keeping them in factory farms, for horse racing, or for medical experiments is somehow better than using them for sex? And the vast majority of people who have a problem with homosexuality would have no problems with eating animals, or using medicine that has been experimented on animals if it would save their skin. Likewise for incest, people use genetic problems as an excuse when to be frank people just find it icky, since genetic problems can be avoided with condoms, and yet people still find it icky.
Consent seems like flimsy rationalization? That's a dangerous suggestion to make. Maybe the fact that children can't consent is also flimsy rationalization? Give me a break. This topic should just be locked. As for the incest thing, I'm not even going to address that - if you can't understand the very serious repercussions of incest then I can't explain it to you.

Last edited:
Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions