Are Europeans less innovative than Americans since WW2?

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
The United States moved 1,600 European (German) scientists + their families into the US during Operation Paperclip:

One of the most famous amongst them is probably Hubertus Strughold, known as the father of space medicine. This meant he conducted research into the effect and maintenance of human health while in space, such as atmospheric control. After his death, evidence that he conducted live experiments on children while working for the Nazis really tarnished his reputation.

Anyways, it should be kept in mind that many American (and Soviet) innovations post WW2 were achieved on the backs of imported German scientists, especially in the field of aerospace engineering.

Last edited:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
And nowadays scientists still go from other parts of the world to work in the USA.

Nov 2017
Győr
The British did in fact play a leading role in the invention of the jet engine and televison, and in the early development of computing machines; and with regard to the telephone, Alexander Graham Bell was Scottish-born started his inventive career in the UK before crossing the Atlantic. One would in any case have to be a crazy Anglophobe to claim that the country where the industrial and agricultural revolutions started has been short of inventiveness, or deny that the land of Newton and Darwin has always played a leading role in scientific research. In the present age, it is second only to the USA for the number of Nobel laureates.
First Jet Engine Television? First computer and Telephone? These are simply fantasies. I am not more Anglophobe than you. 0.0%. Remember for that in your remaining life.

Bell did not invent the telephone. Invention of the telephone - Wikipedia

There was a long debate about Telephone device, but in the reality the debate was not about the telephone, but de facto- about the intercom. Meucci and Reiss invented earlier the intercom than Bell, but the person who transformed the intercom into a real telephone was the inventor of the Telephone exchange and switchboard, Tivadar Puskás. : Tivadar Puskás - Wikipedia
His invention and idea of telephone exchange and switchboard transformed the intercom into a real telephone!

Telephone exchange - Wikipedia
In the era of the electrical telegraph, post offices, railway stations, the more important governmental centers (ministries), stock exchanges, very few nationally distributed newspapers, the largest internationally important corporations and wealthy individuals were the principal users of such telegraphs.[2] Despite the fact that telephone devices existed before the invention of the telephone exchange, their success and economical operation would have been impossible on the same schema and structure of the contemporary telegraph, as prior to the invention of the telephone exchange switchboard, early telephones were hardwired to and communicated with only a single other telephone (such as from an individual's home to the person's business[3]).

A telephone exchange is a telephone system located at service centers (central offices) responsible for a small geographic area that provided the switching or interconnection of two or more individual subscriber lines for calls made between them, rather than requiring direct lines between subscriber stations. This made it possible for subscribers to call each other at homes, businesses, or public spaces. These made telephony an available and comfortable communication tool for everyday use, and it gave the impetus for the creation of a whole new industrial sector.

As with the invention of the telephone itself, the honor of "first telephone exchange" has several claimants. One of the first to propose a telephone exchange was Hungarian Tivadar Puskás in 1877 while he was working for Thomas Edison.[4][5][6][7][8] T

Later in 1877 Puskás had an other breaktrough: He also invented the so-called multiplex switchboard too. 1887: Tivadar Puskás introduced the multiplex switchboard, that had an epochal significance in the further development of telephone exchange.[21]

Jet Engine: History of the jet engine - Wikipedia

I can't see the British priority in the invention.

For electronic digital computer Von Neumann had bigger ontribution than your Turing. Neumann was also greater mathematician than Turing, since he is the world recorder in the hithero unresolved mathematical problems: about 60 new paper in pure mathematics , 60 in applied mathematics . New paper = entirely new solution and theory in the field of mathematics: Turing could produce only third of that, but Turing also had shorter life than Neumann. John von Neumann - Wikipedia

Television: The first practical (functioning fully electronic TV and camera) was invented by Kálmán Tihanyi in 1924, RCA later used mostly his patents on the very first electronic video-camera the iconoscope. He also invented Plasma display (1936) the first infrared camera and first primitive automatic pilotless aircraft.

Kálmán Tihanyi - Wikipedia

The researches of UNESCO Memory of the Word programme examined many claimants: including Russian-Americanm W. Zworykin and Amerikan P. Farnsworth too, and confered the prize rather to Hungarian Kálmán tihanyi, because of his earlier works and patents and discovery of physical phenomenons which were more developed and has a greater contribution in the development of the first electronic camera and display. Kalman Tihanyi’s 1926 Patent Application "Radioskop" | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Goodness me, I seem to have touched an nerve, but I'm happy that you've been able to dig out these Hungarians!

Nov 2017
Győr
Goodness me, I seem to have touched an nerve, but I'm happy that you've been able to dig out these Hungarians!
I know the British inventions & English history well, I edited a lot of Wiki article related to English medieval and early modern era monarchs. And I had to reed a lot of books as references in the discussions, and I had to learn from many books to be able to "fight" the discussion with other editors.

Britain had many important inventions, but everybody come up with this above mentioned dubious "inventions". I can't understand them, there are so many other important British inventions which had 0 ZERO doubts behind them, interestingly the average British forget to mention them on the forums. Maybe later I can open a topic about the numerous British true (I mean zero-doubt) inventions and achievements.

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
Are you joking? LOL.

Europe is still communist. How can you have innovation with that?

America is Free.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Are you joking? LOL.

Europe is still communist. How can you have innovation with that?

America is Free.
Europe Communist? Do you actually know what Communist actually means?

I agree America is free but I for one have always lived in free European countries.

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
Europe Communist? Do you actually know what Communist actually means?

I agree America is free but I for one have always lived in free European countries.
Well Ireland could be a good exception of the rule. Yet MOST, I repeat MOST, European countries are communist. Especially the southern ones. And now the UK.

But communism is not only a political-system. I say communist more in the mental sense of things.

For example, UK is as open of economy as it could be. But with HIGHLY communized society. Welfare states are a form of communism. And UK is ANYTHING but free at the moment.

Last edited:

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Well Ireland could be a good exception of the rule. Yet MOST, I repeat MOST, European countries are communist. Especially the southern ones. And now the UK.

But communism is not only a political-system. I say communist more in the mental sense of things.

For example, UK is as open of economy as it could be. But with HIGHLY communized society. Welfare states are a form of communism. And UK is ANYTHING but free at the moment.
Well I have actually lived there and you are simply taking non sense.